Code P0105

Grond

I just bought a 2001 pathfinder and I’m having trouble figuring out what to do about code P0105 MAP. After some searching online Ive found conflicting information about the sensor with some showing it to be next to the ECU. However in my vehicle there is no such sensor and I’m wondering if it could have been removed. Any help would be appreciated

2001 was a changeover year from the VG33E to the VQ35DE. This is why you are finding conflicting information.

The 2001 service manual (VG33E) shows the sensor mounted by the computer, and has a wiring diagram, pinout, voltage checks, and step-by-step troubleshooting information. EC-160.

The 2001.5 service manual (VQ35DE) says the sensor is built into the computer, which would explain why you've been unable to locate it. There are no diagrams or checks. The only troubleshooting shown is clearing the code to see if that magically fixes it. If the code comes back, replace the computer. EC-158. I would open the computer and see if there's an obviously damaged component or connection, or whether the sensor inside has any markings that you can use to locate a replacement. You might get lucky and find a broken wire or a cracked solder joint, or find that the sensor itself is a standard off-the-shelf component that's still available. Or, if you have a bunch of other codes, try chasing those down first, on the off chance resolving one of those somehow clears this up as well. Otherwise, looks like it's computer time. 

The cable-throttle VQs ('01 and '02) have a common fault where the IACV shorts out and blows its driver mosfet in the computer. This is unrelated to your P0105, but something to look out for if you have to go computer hunting. 

You can get both manuals here. I recommend downloading the whole manual for your year. There's a lot of good info in there, if you can wade through the hand-holding for the Consult scanner that they assume you have. 

:welcome: and good luck.

Ok I'll try that thanks. I tried clearing the code and it came back instantly along with the code for the swirl control valve. I had a bad vacuum solenoid for the intake runners which I've already sourced and am going to replace soon. I opened the ECU and everything inside looks to be fine including the solder. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2022 at 9:35 AM, Slartibartfast said:

The cable-throttle VQs ('01 and '02) have a common fault where the IACV shorts out and blows its driver mosfet in the computer. This is unrelated to your P0105, but something to look out for if you have to go computer hunting. 

I cannot seem to find a definitive answer for the exact cause of this and how to prevent it.  There is mention of bypassing coolant passageways near the throttle-body which I cannot seem to follow.  It's hard to tell based on posts whether the consensus is a seal internally failing within the IACV, the gasket mating the IACV unit to the throttle-body failing, or external coolant lines above the IACV motor that leak and drip coolant onto the motor itself.  What would be a sound attempt at preventing this engineering wonder from happening?  Replacing the IACV main gasket and unit?  I'll be changing sparkplugs soon so this would be something to do while I'm in there.

Edited by cham