Due to a hardware failure on the hosts systems, all posts and messages created between May 26th and Jan 13th have been lost. Additionally, if you joined the NPORA Forums community during that time, you'll need to re-register. -NPORA Mod Team *Updated: 05/19/2022 12:15AM PST

Glove box won't open. Any suggestions?

So clearly a mechanism has broke, so when I'm pulling the latch, it won't open regardless if it is locked or not. So I know something needs to be replaced, probably the whole latch assembly. Anyways, any suggestions on how to approach this? Do I just get a screwdriver and pry it open? What's the worst case scenario if I go this route? Would the latch itself just break? 

Also, in some cases manufacturers often reuse certain parts across multiple models, are there any other Nissan models that share the Pathfinder's glove box latch? Seeing if I can making tracking one down a lot easier, and hopefully cheaper.

Edited by BlueKrogan

Before going full gorilla on the latch, I would remove the pegs holding the bottom of the glovebox (at least on the square dash--don't remember how the hinge works on round dash) and see if that gives you any ability to work it around. Might get you enough wiggle room to jimmy it. Worst case, probably better to bust up the lock than to potentially wreck the dash and the glovebox door with the screwdriver.

I may have a glovebox in my parts car, will have to check. 

It's the curvy dash; the pins on the bottom hinges look pretty difficult to mess with. Would removing the corner edge piece of the dash next to the glove box (where the passenger window defrost vent is) do me any favors?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2022 at 3:30 AM, Slartibartfast said:

Late reply, but I had a look at the parts car, and I don't think you could get to the top screw for the end cap without busting out part of the glove box.

Is the part that breaks a detachable part at least?

No, I think you would have to break off a corner of the glovebox itself to get a screwdriver in there. Maybe you could get a pair of pliers around behind and back the screw out from the pointy end, but I doubt it.

Since you're in Ontario, I have a spare glove box from my parts truck that you can have, if you end up breaking yours. From my 94 round dash.

Edited by adamzan