Roof Rack Options

xylicon

I have a 94 with the factory roof rack and cross bars, the sticker attached to the rack claims a max load of 85lbs (evenly distributed).

I would like to add more carrying capacity to the roof/rack in hopes of installing a roof top tent but I haven't been able to find any viable options.

Has anyone had any luck finding a roof/rack mount solution with more weight capacity, or perhaps fabricated their own setup?

Thanks

--Mike

• 2 weeks later...

"MAX LOAD 85 LBS EVENLY DISTRIBUTED" is the biggest lie that Nissan has ever told. 

I've had roughly 400 pounds loaded onto the roof, and nothing broke. I've even climbed up there, to tie stuff down, and I'm usually between 180- 220. 
The stock roof racks are metal with plastic hardware, and some rubber seals to prevent scraping. They're built very well. I think the 85 pound rating is because they didn't want people to load up the roof, become top heavy, and possibly flip the vehicle by taking a turn too fast. 

If you've ever had your headliner out and had a look inside the roof, you wouldn't put much on there! There is no reinforcement except 2 thin pressed steel braces that bolt in. If you make your own rack, keep the mounting points as far out as you can, closer to the fold above the rear windows.