Parking brake dash light always on

noseknows

I have an '02 with the parking brake indicator in the dash always on. I've confirmed that the brakes aren't engaged. I'm assuming the switch is probably stuck where ever it is typically activated. I'm having a hard time finding info on where that switch is located. Is it at the brake lever assembly? Just curious if anyone has some insight and advice on where to look first. 

Make sure your brake fluid isn't low, the "brake" light will come on if the fluid is low. But yeah if I remember correctly the "brake" light switch for the parking brake is at the base of the level in the center console.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

As mentioned above, the warning light says "BRAKE" not "PARKING BRAKE". This light does not glow when you simply depress the brake pedal, nor does it glow if the brake switch is stuck (which would keep the rear brake lights on all the time.) The warning light indicates that something regarding the braking system needs attention, whether it's the parking brake being engaged or low brake fluid level, which lowers as the brake pads become more worn. Don't just top off the brake fluid; check your front brake pads, too. They may be due for replacement soon.

Edited by XPLORx4
  • Like 1

Thanks. Turns out I have plenty of fluid, but your post gave me another possible source of a malfunction. If the switch on the lever checks out ok then I might wanna check that brake fluid reservoir sensor.  

Yeah, it could be the sensor. I had low brake fluid at one time, and the BRAKE light illuminated. I added brake fluid, but the light didn't go out. I checked the reservoir again and noticed that the little white float sensor had become stuck and wasn't floating to the surface. I jiggled it around to let it rise to the surface, and the BRAKE light extinguished.