Replacing 25yo springs + lift

TheGhost

So I know this has been beaten to death, but I'm curious what the opinions are for this specific case and I also just want to write it down for my own sake. I've got a '95 4 door with the tire carrier on original coils and I've put 2" lift spacers in it. The rear still sags a bit and its even worse when loaded with people and gear, plus I soon want to get a hitch and haul dirtbikes.

I want stiffer springs and also ~0.75-1" higher rear.

I imagine I could just get whatever is on rockauto and get 0.5" more lift in the rear(just for having new springs vs old), but right now rock auto is stocked out and I also want a stiffer ride than I currently have that will be ok with a dirtbike and camping gear every once in a while.

I see that people often put in JGC front coils. Running the numbers on rockauto:

JGC: rated load length =    15", rated load = 503lbs, nominal springrate 146 lbs/in.

Pathy: rated load length = 13", rated load = 566lbs, nominal springrate 161 lbs/in.

15"-(566lbs-503lbs)/146lbs/" = 14.55" resting length, 1.55" higher than stock

I also expect I would get ~0.5" extra just switching to new springs, so I'd be at ~2-2.1" higher than currently

This means I could switch to the JGC springs and take out one lift spacer blocks to be 1-1.1" higher than I currently am, but I would still be left with the lower springrate JGC. What would you guys recommend? Does my reasoning/math check out? I see lots of comments that the JGC springs give 2.5-3" lift over stock, but my math disagrees (only 1.55" when not accounting for the spring newness).

The other thing I'm confused about is I've seen some people say the JGC springs are stiffer, but that's not what rockauto says when comparing their nominal springrates (I know they are variable) or the wire thickness.

Thanks for any thoughts!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2021 at 11:07 AM, adamzan said:

I used the AC (4x4parts.com) 3" coils and they are noticeably stiffer than stock. I had the JGC coils before but found them too soft.

Thanks adam!

Those get quite a bit more $$ with me from Canada but yeah maybe the 1.5" lift option there is my best bet. I could do that with 1 of the spacers I have or maybe shave down one of my spacers so the lift isn't too much over 2" overall.

• 1 year later...

If you have the adjustable shocks still there's a good chance they are pretty worn out by now. If you can find some new old stock they are great if not the bilstein ones make an excellent replacement.