VG30E Top End overhaul

gamellott

Good job on getting it back together. I had to do a head job on my old 95 and it was a nightmare just like yours. Never could get those coolant lines behind the intake to go on properly. We had to do the heads in mine since we timed it wrong so it bent all 6 intake valves. this whole top end is a nightmare. Tell you what though when you get it done and it runs it feels amazing and good to know you got it done. 

• Like 1

I remember having a "fun" time with those lines too. I usually use a little WD40 or silicone or something when hooking up hoses, but that's less helpful when there's nowhere to put your hands. Since then I got a pair of hose pliers (like needle-nose but with curved tips for hoses), sees like that'll make round two easier if/when I end up in there again. At least Nissan didn't use spring clamps that pop around backwards when the pliers slip.

• Like 1

Today is day two since I have had it all finished and completed my commute to and from work. The engine appears to have a little more power (I really notice it when I'm climbing hills). It runs a LOT smoother. The annoying hickup just past idle is gone, and I can release the clutch without giving a quick flick of the gas to get it to go without stuttering. Oh, and the exhaust is not noticeably leaking.?

Because it was sitting for so long, The dash lights independently turn on and off at will. Sometimes they're all off. The door dinger that notifies me that I either left my lights on or keys in the ignition, is silent. The list goes on and on... It appears as though I will be cleaning electrical switches and stuff when the weather warms up and/or I have a dry place to work in ? Projects for another day ?

• Like 1