Tie Rod to Center Link Fitment Issue 1995 Pathfinder

So as the title says I'm having an issue connecting the inner tie rod to a new center link I purchased. I tighten down the inner stud 65ft-lbs like the service manual I have says. But only like 1 thread is exposed above the nut and i am about 2-3 complete turns away from being able to put the cotter pin into the hole. The service manual claims 40-72ft-lbs but I don't want to try and tighten the nut more.

I am using OEM tie rod ends but an eBay center link. I don't want to have to buy a new center link if I can make this one work. Anyone else come across this issue? Thanks!

Edit: The seller on eBay says this is intended for the post 92 Hardbodies and Pathfinders of the W/D21 chassis. So the fitment should be correct. 

Edited by SquadCarPathfinder

Sounds like the seller erred, and you have the pre 92 CL. The earlier CL had smaller bores for the inner tierods. Your cheapest and easiest fix is to get a pair of inner tierods for an 87-91 Pathfinder/4x4 Hardbody. They will thread into the adjuster just fine and fit the CL properly. 

This is error from the seller cause the tie rods are confirmed good and correct. I looked up the part number for my tie rod end assemblies and it is meant for the 93 and up pickups and pathfinders. Center Link is just not the quality it needs to be I guess? 

I'm sure it would be cheaper to buy a set of inner links, but if this center link really is just crap (no brand name) quality, then I'm gonna try ordering a new center link :\. 

Any complaints about the Moog DS80594? Looking to snatch that from amazon and if it doesn't fit then I have no problem sending it back. 

All the stock style center links are crap. It is a poor design that was marginal in a stock truck. The only difference in the 93-95 Pathfinder steering from the older was the stud size of the tierod ends. I honestly have no idea why they changed them, but the smaller ones were more than strong enough for the job. 

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone who replied to the topic! The center link I had purchased from eBay was the problem. Replaced the no name with a Moog DS80594 center link. Now everything works and I was able to line up the studs, torque, and actually insert the cotter pins in. Next is to send it to the alignment bay! 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 5:17 PM, SquadCarPathfinder said:

Thanks to everyone who replied to the topic! The center link I had purchased from eBay was the problem. Replaced the no name with a Moog DS80594 center link. Now everything works and I was able to line up the studs, torque, and actually insert the cotter pins in. Next is to send it to the alignment bay! 

This is where the fun starts... the "stock" center link stresses joints by rotating under load IIRC. It generally means that it will be in the alignment bay a lot if used hard... probably the weakest part of the entire design. An idler arm brace will help some, but either aftermarket replacements or being careful is the best bet to avoid disappointment.

B