Let's hear it for the parts dept...

k9sar

So I need an inner tie rod end for my pathy. I call the local dealership parts dept and they tell me that the tie rod ends only matter by what side of the vehicle they are on, not the inner or outer. By this logic, the drivers side inner and outer are interchangeable (and confirmed by the parts moron). Let's think about this logically..... In order to adjust your toe-in without removing the tie-rods, one must be a right-hand-thread and the other must be a left-hand thread. That, to me, does not sound interchangeable. I called 3 other dealerships and got the same answer. I guess they just look in their little books WHICH ARE WRONG and act like they have any idea about how mechanical crap works! Did I vent enough???? Now, I called the local after-market parts place and they tell me that the inner is different from the outer (yay) but they tell me that the inner is a left-hand thread. Funny, I crawled under and it's definately right-hand. So he starts telling me that, sometimes if a mechanic can't get the toe-in adjusted right, they'll flip the tie-rods around so they screw the other way. WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?! Dude... LOOSE IS LOOSE, TIGHT IS TIGHT. No matter if the inner is inner and the outer is outer or the outer is inner and the inner is outer, you are either spreading them or shortening the length. UNfskcINGBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!! AND... to make matters worse, nobody stocks them so I can't just walk in with mine and say.... this one. They want me to pay ahead of time and special order. AND.... if I choose to order one of each and I only keep one, there is a freaking restocking fee for the other one. I'm ready to scream!!!!!!!!!

Good gawd!!!!!!!!!!! WTF.. is it the week of the morons??? that's rediculous!

I hope you get the right ones soon...good luck finding someone with enough brains to get it right! :wacko:

Oh, I get it k9sar... You are one of "those" customers, aren't you... "Look, it says it right here in the book/computer" and you shouldn't attempt to apply logic or mechanical principles !!! I hear you Bud, been there so many times I can't remember them all. Why don't you just order them online ?? I got an entire OEM tie rod assembly for the passenger side for about $50 from nissanmart.com. Check them out... GL, and try not to strangle anyone, spray windex in their eyes, c clamp their hands to the counter, etc.

Bernard

yea.. for the price of buying the end I need locally, I can ge the entire tie-rod mail order and not have to worry about left or right handed. I'm a firm believer that you should have at least a little mechanical know-how if you are gonna sell mechanical stuff. Just like I wouldn't buy a stereo system from a burger-flippin junkie who can't figure out why he can't fit 8 tapes in an 8-track player.. 8's 8, right? :)

Some people are just dumb... I was at Lowe's the other day and the cashier didn't know what MDF was. She wasn't sure if they sold it... "isn't it that stuff thats made of like big wood chips and its in layers?"

Well, I picked up a cheap tie-rod end at the local Advanced Auto. I told them I needed the drivers side inner and they promptly hand me the wrong one. I'm guessing that, although I have never pulled my tie rods out completely, the drivers side was in backwards. I told them to give me the outer and it was threaded correctly (and a couple dollars cheaper) and I put it on yesterday. Just a big hammer and a little cussin to break it loose, a couple monster wrenches to free the lock nut and I'm back on the road. Good enough to pass state safety inspection. I guess I really did need one. Are they supposed to rattle around when you shake them? :shrug::D