Spare tire carrier replaced for $50

Repack

I live around Boston and the going rate for spare tire carriers is $50 at the local salvage yards. Obviously its an easy job. Just don't expect the yard to have a key for the spare key bolt. Good news is that you can sneak a ratchet in to remove the whole mount, then recycle the original mount.

Congrats Repack !! Yours has a built in lock ??? Hmm, I dont think my 95 does... I'm going to need something when I replace the spare with a matching rim and good tire...

B

Congrats Repack !! Yours has a built in lock ??? Hmm, I dont think my 95 does... I'm going to need something when I replace the spare with a matching rim and good tire...

B

By lock, I meant keyed lug nut. Sorry. Looked at 2 and both had them. The first came off with channel locks, but the hinges wer bad (carrier was slightly bent from being rear-ended so it was tight while on the doner truck but bad while off). Why would you need to replace it just b/c of a full-sized tire? My next purchase is going to be a 15x7" rim to go with an extra tire that the original owner gave me. I hear that the Lego rims go for $25ea at the local yards. I'm lucky that there are some very good parts sources arounf here. 2nd gen Pathy's are VERY popular in the NE.

Got ya Repack, lug nut key... About locking the spare, I'm thinking with aftermarket rims (nothing too fancy) but with a fresh AT or MT, some a$$es get tempted... With the things I have had stolen over the years (sony am/fm CASSETTE, rear speaker box $50 new, driving lights, licence plate, useless spare on rim in back of pickup) I don't wonder anymore what might be worth trading for $10 of crank or whatever. Anything I would value gets locked down...

You are lucky to have good junk yard sources, while there are 2nd Gen Pathys everywhere, there are virtually none in the bone yards here in north Ca..

B

I was worried about someone swiping my spare off the carrier, especially after I put a 32" BFG A/T and spankin' new rim on it. Trouble was, I couldn't find any lug locks that would fit the spare wheel studs. For some reason they're smaller than the ones the wheels mount on, plus they don't sell locking lug nuts in a five-pack anyway. Luckily, mine has a post with a hole through it that you can put a master lock on.

If yours doesn't have the post maybe you could drill a hole that lines up with one of the lug holes on the rim, run a 3" long bolt through it and spin a nut down tight. Then grind a bit of a flat spot on the excess threads and drill a hole through the bolt for a lock.

I was worried about someone swiping my spare off the carrier, especially after I put a 32" BFG A/T and spankin' new rim on it. Trouble was, I couldn't find any lug locks that would fit the spare wheel studs. For some reason they're smaller than the ones the wheels mount on, plus they don't sell locking lug nuts in a five-pack anyway. Luckily, mine has a post with a hole through it that you can put a master lock on.

If yours doesn't have the post maybe you could drill a hole that lines up with one of the lug holes on the rim, run a 3" long bolt through it and spin a nut down tight. Then grind a bit of a flat spot on the excess threads and drill a hole through the bolt for a lock.

You just made my day... I've been troubled by the thought of someone stealing my brand new BFG 31" MT spare w/matching rim... I noticed the little stud/post with the hole in it, never thought about putting a lock on there... The hole seems a little small, and I don't know if I'd like the look of a master lock hanging off the back of the truck in front of my shiny new "stock" rim.

I luv the idea about drilling a hole that lines up with lug hole in the rim... That way I could have it locked with a good size lock and have it be kinda hidden between the spare and the tailgate... :)

Thanks for the tip... :aok:

A couple of other thoughts/ideas.

Remember that you can still unbolt the actual tire carrier from the gate! That is what I did when I couldn't get the lug off. A ratchet with a socket slid in easily behind the spare. But with a real tire, there might not be room. One thing to note is that a short handle ratchet will fit inside of a 15" rim. I think that a 7" or 8" rim will both come in only 1" closer to the gate. Still enough room for a wrench. Is it true that 7" and 8" wide rims have the same offset on the onboard side of the rim?

Anyway, here is a picture of what I am talking about.

post-6-1112799997.jpg

Speaking of spare tire carriers - sorry to get a little off topic here - how hard should it be to move the carrier to open the lift gate? Mine takes some effort to move. Actually gotta plant my feet pretty good.

mine was that way (up till about three months ago when I got a new one cuz someone hit me) , its was the original on a 93 and it took some muscle and foot plantin to get that thing to move either way, but I just chalked it up to being old, It didnt really bother me but I suppose you could try some lubricant (WD 40 or somethin) on those hinges, maybe even a penetrant and some lubricant after

Yeah, mine's a '93 also. I tried WD40 on the hinges, and then swung it to and fro to try and work it in. Didn't seem to make much difference. It doesn't bother me too much either, just curious if it was supposed to be that tight.

the new one (brand new) is nothing like that, I can swing it with my pinky, but I wouldn't try to find a new one (it was about $550, fortunately insurance paid that), otherwise maybe some of these other guys have some suggestions, but like you (and I) said other than it bein a pain in the arss, its not that big a deal, till next time

l8

I would NOT recoment any kind of l;iquid lube, especially not somehting like WD 40. Mine was sticky at first. So I tried Tri-Flo. Its a nice Teflon-based penatratinglube. All it seemed to do was flush out what was making the hinges stick and made them rattle. It took some time to develop, but it definately seemed to be caused by the lube. I wouldn't try anything but grease.

In the Garage forum, someone posted that many dealerships will inject some sort of special grease into the hinges no-charge.

But $550!!!!!!!!! Dang!!!! All I knew was that the minimum price I was quoted to replace the bushings (by a dealer) was like ~$120.

When my tire carrier gets hard enough to make my wife complain I shoot some WD-40 on the hinges and it works good for a couple/few weeks...

Has anyone had any problems with putting too much wieght on there tire carrier and causing damage??? I've been thinking of mounting a jerry can and my hi-lift jack on there.

B

hmm.. my '92 doesn't have a lock either. And... I am selling my tire carrier, so if you have trouble finding one...let me know!

Congrats on teh carrier for $50! :clap:

OK, I just have to say this... WD-40 is "WATER DISPLACEMENT-FORMULA 40" NOT miracle in a convenient can !! While it can help somewhat in other applications, thats NOT what it is formulated for !! It will not free corroded bolts, walk the dog, provide lasting lubrication, restore hair loss, provide lasting corrosion protection, cure bad breath, make the wife happy, wash the dishes, or replace the 5+ other types of formulaes, oils and grease that should be in your arsenal. It WILL penetrate somewhat, apply temporary lubricity, clean somewhat, and temporarily prevent corrosion by DISPLACING WATER !!

*pant, pant*

Ok, that being said, my carrier was getting stiff after the winter, so I used some WD-40, sprayed it in the top of the pivot, both open and closed and worked it back and forth many times. I repeated this many times. While wiping away rust colored drips, it became free enough to be reasonable for now. It's not a real fix, I just didn't want to damage the area where it mounts to the body... Good enough for the next few rains but in a month or two, it'll probably be stiffer. This summer I'll spent a few hours in the sun and do it right.

Bernard

Has anyone had any problems with putting too much wieght on there tire carrier and causing damage??? I've been thinking of mounting a jerry can and my hi-lift jack on there.

Check this out. Pimped spare tire carrier thread. He did a really nice job.

Yep,Yep... That's where the idea came from... I was mainly wondering if it could hold that much wieght all the time for a few years... I thought about it and figured that a lot of guys are carrying a 33" tire on there's with no problems that I've heard of, and that's got to be close to the same wieght as what I'm wanting it to carry... :D

I just need to find a cheap mig welder for the garage when I have a lil extra $$$...

B

hmm.. my '92 doesn't have a lock either. And... I am selling my tire carrier, so if you have trouble finding one...let me know!

Congrats on teh carrier for $50! :clap:

I was misunderstood. I meant keyed lugnut.