Driver side power window rack assembly

Dezervon

Hey,

has anyone removed the window regulator rack from the door and have some tips what to look out for? I removed the door panel and can see all the bolts necessary to open, but I´m afraid there is a network of cables that lift/lower the window and these will get messed up.

Issue itself is the window does not move up anymore - the motor is spinning and comes down fine, but when trying to close it, it just clunks. It feels like the motors shaft is not tight with the transmission system. I hope it´s rather fixable than necessary to replace it.

Thanks in advance!

Nissan Pathfinder 2.7TD 1990

With the help of youtube I gained some confidence that it´s not that tricky, so I went ahead and opened it up. I was right that the motors shaft was just spinning around in the plastic round castor wheel. The center grippy corners were worn out and under load it just snaps forward. That kind of annoyance would be easily avoided by using stronger material on the wheel or proper design of the shafts head, but I guess 28 years is way over the life expectancy on these details anyway.
The spare part for new power window regulator costs 135€ around here so I decided to go for a easy and cheap fix:

Bought two-part epoxy glue, which has to be mixed and then dries within 4 minutes. Fully hardened within 24 hours, it chemically binds plastic, metal and many more materials so it seems to be the right glue for it. Put it back together and it raised the window no questions asked.

It´s worth to lubricate the rails and cables on these old systems too, because I think that may have caused it to go bad in the first place.

https://www.photobox.co.uk/my/photo/full?photo_id=500784326442

• Like 1

Yeah it's pretty easy really, I replaced both of my regulator assemblies not so long ago. The regulators, less motor, re fairly inexpensive on ebay (at least for a US buyer) sold in pairs and shipped from China.

• 3 months later...

Hey,

there´s actually no need to remove the glass from the door. Once the upholstery is removed lower the glass and unbolt the rack from the glass, then lift it up again and tape the glass to its (closed) position, lower the loose rack again and take the module out.

Edit: it´s probable, that the rack design and assembly is different on your model. On mine (1990) the glass was supported from the center with two bolts and was very easy to remove.

Edited by Dezervon