Transmission Fluid change question

Patrick

Hi. I have a 95 Pathfinder and trust this forum so I hope you don't mind answering this question. My mom has a 1998 Nissan Maxima with 230,000 miles. Runs excellent, never a problem. It was recently recommended by a garage that she gets the auto tranny fluid changed or flushed. It still has the original fluid it came with-it has never been changed during its lifetime. Is it better to leave the old fluid in there or get a tranny flush? I always thought it was better to just leave it be with such high mileage. Thanks.

I agree with 88. That is a lot of mileage for no trannie service. Are you sure it has never been done? May want to check on service records before doing what the garage suggest, especially if they are not the garage that has done the regular maintenance work. :type:

Trannies don't generally get hot enough to bake the fluid like engine oil does. It's also isolated completely from any outside contaminants like gasoline, water and dirt, so it'll generally stay it's natural color for a long time.

I was thinking it was normal for it to get black from changing the tranny fluid and filter in a chevy cavaliar with 70,000 miles and it was pretty black compared to the red new fluid... But that's driving 70,000 miles on a POS car like it was a sports car... 0-60 in as fast as I could possibly do it every time I started from a stop...

I was the kind of teenage driver that gives teenage drivers a bad name... Now I'm almost 28 and drive "respectfully" while wanting to choke people that drive like I used to drive because I have my family in the car... :D

Edited by TrailChaser

Pat, if you choose to get the fluid changed, I suggest you should, don't get to alarmed if the tranny whines a little with the new fluid in it. When I did my '97 Max at about 100K mi. it whinned for a couple of weeks and then went away. No tranny problems before or after the change and I'm on the long side of 143K mi. now.

:bow: Darn Nissan makes some reliable vehicles.

JMTC

Mike