brainbuster

JonesyUSN

I have stumped several mechanics back home with this. I went muddin one day as usual. everything went great no gettin stuck or crap like that. didnt do anything to extreme. however there is one area of the trail that you have to turn around on and start heading back (unless you are driving bigfoot) the old owner dug an 8 foot hole there and when the city or whatever took it over some smart person drove theretruck unwittingly into it. so now all you see is a stripped down what appears to be 80s s10 or 15. anyway on to the problems. as i was turning around i had the wheel cranked almost all the way. and i thought i might have been sticking in mud or small hole. but it felt like i was trying to drive with the ebrake on. I test this after thoroughly cleaning and visually inspecting, and it still does it on dry pavement. it does do it no matter which way wheel is cranked and is only evident when wheel is close to the limit or at it I dont believe its the ebrake because it has no sign of this when driving forward. so if anyone has any ideas on what i can do let me know please..

Edited by JonesyUSN

Yep, I'm amost certain that it is the CVs... You are begining to bind them when you have the steering cranked. This is bad; you can destroy them. I believe that most manuals tell you not to turn sharply in 4x4 (and dont stomp on the gas either), hence the classic 9 point turn you will see a lot of wheelers do in a tight spot. Kinda a pain in the butt, but better than replacing the VC's often...

B

Are you in 4wd when you notice this problem or is it all the time? Front and rear tires travel different distances when turning. When turning in 4wd on a surface with decent traction you get the symptoms you describe. If you don't think you're in 4wd maybe the 4wd wont disengage??

i know for a fact that the 4x4 disengages otherwise my highway driving would be hellacious.. That and i know my truck that well i can feel the difference in the ride.. and it is only in 4x4 in reverse that this occurs :confused:

If it only happens in 4WD when turning sharply, then it's drivetrain bind. The CV's aren't necessarily binding, but the difference in wheel speed between the front and rear tires while locked together by the transfer case is enough to put additional rotational strain on the CV's, hubs, driveshafts, transfer case and transmission, which will definitely slow your vehicle down and could possibly lead to damage to a drivetrain component.

thanks for all you help I guess i know not to do that anymore.. I think ill employ the 58 point turn,, :D thanks again

sssh 58 pt turn... and I have only managed a 10 point turn in a 83' long semi.... maybe I'll try harder next time!

Hope everything turns out ok! :aok: