Help...Won't turnover

treywurst

Ok heres the situation. 91 XEV6.....Running down a muddy dirt road in 4H....splash through a big puddle....about 1 ft deep....did that twice (it was cool)...tried it a 3rd time and the engine cut off on me, attempted to start it and it would turn over but would not fire...after a couple of unsuccessful attempts in stop turning over completley. Had it towed back to the house and we checked the battery, it was good....tried a new battery in the pathy and still the same thing....the starter clunks when you turn the key....tried to push start it and it would not start. No water in the distributor....the relays all look dry....all fuses are good. Is it possible some water got into the engine? I would think it would still try to turn over though. At first we were thinking it was the starter, but after it would not push start we determined thats probably not the issue. Ran the codes and it came back 55, all good...I am at a loss, I have never had problems with it before...it only has 127,000 miles on it......Any help would be appreciated....Thanks......Trey

:help:

Pull your spark plugs, then crank the motor over. If water comes out of any of the holes, you drowned it. If that's the case, crank it until no more water comes out any of the holes, then replace the plugs with new ones, change your oil REAL QUICK before it ruins your bearings inside the engine, and hope it runs again afterwards...

The dealer has it now and they are saying the motor is locked up, they put something on it and could not get it to turn. He says that can happen if sucks water up in the intake. Is this possible? I am waiting on the parts guy to call back. What do yall think a replacement engine would cost? :sniff:

He says that can happen if sucks water up in the intake. Is this possible?

Yes. If you suck water through your intake into the cylinders, the pistons can't travel their full stroke and everything stops (or breaks). You can't compress liquid, that's the way hydraulics work.

What do yall think a replacement engine would cost? 

From the dealer? About $7 million. You could buy a used engine for about $500-$800 and probably have a garage install it for $1,000-$1,500.

Do what 88 and mzxtreme said first, though unless you trust that the mech at the dealer tried it already. Maybe you'll get lucky.

If you have to replace it, I would shop around before I agreed to let the dealer install another motor.

Edited by jj big shoe

Score!! A buddy of my dad's owns a salvage yard, they just got a pathy motor in....same one I have in mine (not locked up of course). They drove the truck in there and checked it out, said it runs superb; about 100K miles on it. They are selling it to me for $650 and putting it in for another $350.....not to shabby! They are picking it up from the dealer now, the dealer wanted $2500 to rebuild the current motor or $3500 for a refurbished one (thiefs!!). They will have it done in a week. Any suggestions on what can be done while they have it all torn apart? Besides of course putting a friggin' snorkle on it to prevent this crap from happening again!!

Thanks for everyone's input.... :beer:

It would not even turn over...when I would turn the key it would just go "clunk". I'll double check it one more time today, I haven't bought the motor yet. Turns out the guy can't start it for a week and half anyway...

While the have the other motor out, they should throw on some headers. It's alot easier to do with the motor already out.

Plus you're already saving almost 2g's over what the dealership wanted.

Just a thought.

It would not even turn over...when I would turn the key it would just go "clunk".  I'll double check it one more time today, I haven't bought the motor yet.  Turns out the guy can't start it for a week and half anyway...

if there's fluid in the cylinder, that's all it'd do. pull the plugs and crank it over!!! I have filled a 4-banger with water (thought it was a sub) and once I pulled the plugs and sent 4 geyesers into the sky, I put the old plugs back in and she started right up. It ran a little rough while it blew steam out the exhaust and got the remainder of the water out. Followed that with a good oil flush and change, a new air and oil filter and she ran for another few years before i sold it.

Son't be confused by the work 'seized'. there's a difference between seized (metal bonded to metal due to friction) and fluid-locked.

I replaced the engine in my 95. Best to avoid that unless it's absolutely necessary.

ps. nice little mud hole. those are always fun to empty :)

Edited by k9sar

OK and the verdict is.....drum roll please...

The motor is locked up. I met the guy thats gonna be putting in the new motor (helluva a nice guy, he builds offroaders and races them) and we pulled the plugs (they were soaked) no luck. No geysers. I was hoping so much when I turned that key. Oh well, he said he should have it done by next week and will install all new everything that everyone has suggested on this thread. Thanks for everyone's opinions and advice. Hope to be on the trails again soon!

Trey :beer:

This info would have been useful last week....ya know before I drowned it....Live and learn....

Here

Yep. More common is the damage being done when people try to restart the engine... :wacko:

Edited by flnl