heator motor??

nick1716

Guest Larimer

Yup. Blower motor resistor. I have replaced mine twice (my own dumb fault), and it is such an easy swap I would never pay any money to have it done. It is located under the glovebox. I dont have time to take a pic right now. Anyway you just pop off the connector unscrew the unit. Put in your replacement and connect it all back up.

Just make sure that you put it back and dont get lazy and leave it hanging underneath. It will blow again within a few minutes... I guess it needs some airflow to cool it and there is an airpath through there...

• 2 months later...

I have what seems to be the same problem except that it's with the AC. Full blast on all settings execept "II". Ice cold air. Would replacing the blower motor resistor fix this? If this is my problem... Is the "blower motor resistor" an OEM part or can I replace it with a generic equivalent resistor of the correct value and power rating? Thanks, r0x :beer:

Edited by r0x

Update:

Replacing the blower motor resistor didn't fix the problem in my case.

I took the front console apart and found burn marks in the socket that plugs into the AC fan switch. (See photo.) Bending the contact inside the harness plug housing to make a better connection with the blade it plugs into didn't fix the problem, either. The switch itself seems to be intermittent.

Any suggestions about finding a cost effective replacement?

Thanks, r0x :beer:

P.S. Taking everything apart, bending the contact, and putting it back together fixed the AM radio crackle problem I've had for the past 5 years or so. Sparking from the intermittent contact was killing reception.

post-7-1118453127.jpg

I didn't even know there was supposed to a light in the hazard button. Mine must have been out since the truck was new! The hazard and defroster buttons are, as far as I could tell, a sealed assembly and the harnesses you see in the picture plug into it.

Back to my thing... Does anybody know if the fan switch from a Pathfinder with Automatic Temperature Control is compatible with my climate control system?

My fan switch: "0, I, II, III, IIII" settings.

Auto Temp fan switch: "OFF, AUTO, I, II, III" settings.

I'm hoping that the mechanical switch is the same and the difference is just in the markings.

Thanks, r0x :beer:

• 5 months later...
Guest toddv124

I think I have a simuliar problem. My fan works great when the weather is warm. when it get cold (40 or below) it doesn't work at all untill something magical happens or I hit a good bump in the road. I am willing to try this but need some help on the part number and some basic install help

Todd

Hi Todd, welcome to NPORA!

If it is the resistor, I have heard that they are super simple to replace (Its a common problem on the Xterras - my hubby has one) so fear not!

Although because yours goes on & off with heat & bumps... I wonder if you lave a loose connection somewhere??

I'm sure others will chime in and give you some advice! :)

Guest toddv124

Thanks, all. I spent a couple of hours before the post checking the connections the best I could inside and outside of the car. For the life of me, I don't know how there could be a loose connection. Have you ever tried to get one of those dam connectors loose? I found the blower motor resistor on line from nissan for $38, 44 with shipping. A small price to pay if this is the casue. I'll keep you posted.

hey

my heater blower did the same exact thing and didnt know what caused it for a long time until i got sick of the 4th speed and went to nissan and they told me it was the resistor. it would have been 20 bucks if i ordered it from them but i just went to the local junk yard and got one out of a 95 sentra. same blower assembly same resister and now it works fine, costed me 10 bucks and about 2 minutes :)

-Alex

Guest toddv124

Yesterday I hit a bump in the road and the blower came to life. It has been extremely cold the past couple of days and today it worked fine so far. I canceled my order for now. I previously had the dash appart and today I took the glove box apart and checked connections in there. So, should I look anywhere else ?

Todd

hey since u got that apart can u tell me if theres a light behind the hazards button cause if there is mine is dead i wanna know what kind

I dunno about your hazard light, but in my 98, there's a bulb inside the hazard light. It's a really tiny bulb (maybe the size of a pencil lead tip) with wires sticking out that goes into a rubber holder. I haven't seen replacements for these bulbs anywhere so it might be worth it to just find a spare hazard light from ebay. Also if you wanna open up your hazard, be very carful its spring mounted so it can come flying apart before you see how it goes back together.

Guest gbonds4

Toddv124, I had the same problem with my Pathfinder about 2 weeks ago and my blower motor was shot. After taking it out and removing the fan propeller I found the problem. It was the brushes was shot. I could turn my fan switch on and I would get no motor action. When I would hit the fan with my hand it would come to life. I agree with all that the connections are usually to tight to remove. I would bet on it being the motor. MSRP $169.99 Nissan Dealership. Salvage yard $65. It only takes 4 screws on the Pathfinder. Good Luck. I hope i have helped.

Guest toddv124

Update: Since I hit the bump in the road a week ago, the dam fan is working great. Its a good thing too, becuase in St. Louis its been cold. Brrrrrr. I have yet to re-install my glove box for fear of jinxing my problem. I talked with my dad and he agree on the bushing diagnosis. I cant decide on getting a new motor now or wait for it to go out again.

Thanks, Todd