P0500 Vehicle speed sensor issue

bushnut

Eugene sent me a code today...P0500 and the O/D light was flashing. speedometer was working fine, though the speedometer on my ULTRA GAUGE was not. I wonder if this has anything to do with my Cruz control cutting out?

anyway trying to find one On Line, every retailer shows me photos of ABS wheel speed sensor not Transmission VSS, anybody know the Nissan Part #?

haven't taken it out yet to check continuity. If I can't find one On Line I'll have to take my chances at the JY. are these the same for the 3.3 and 3.5 engines?

thanks guys

The VSS signal starts from the VSS, then first goes to the instrument cluster (speedometer). The speedometer then outputs the VSS signal to the engine computer. If your speedometer works, but you're getting the P0500 error code and your ultra gauge (which reads from the OBDII) is not displaying the speed, then there is something amiss between your instrument cluster and the engine computer. Check the connections on the IC and the wiring harnesses. It is possible that your IC may have a loose connection.

Edited by XPLORx4
  • Like 1

I agree with XPLORx4. In fact, I had this happen on my Frontier once, same code...the thin-film circuit board had developed a hairline crack at the harness, and was interrupting the signal from cluster to ECU. Bought a new circuit board from Nissan and swapped it. Not sure if it's the same option for the R50, though.