Waterproofing Electronics?

DarekG

Hey guys figured this would be an interesting discussion.

Anyone have tips for waterproofing electronics in your R50's engine bay? I don't plan on crazy water crossings but would like to lessen the chance of any type of failure while I'm out exploring the woods.

Would it be a good idea to track down connectors, spray them with electrical contact cleaner, dry them off, then seal them up with electrical tape or is that pretty useless?

I'm also looking into differential breathers - Is this literally as easy as finding some rubber hose and extending the existing line?

I also plan on lining the sides of the intake airbox with duct tape. Redneck engineering!

Thanks!

Edited by DarekG

Rubber fuel line seems to work well to extend most of the breathers, that's what I did with my diffs. I just spliced into the existing lines for now, but I plan on routing all my breathers up into the pillars eventually. I've heard of people using tupperware with holes cut to suit and a @!*%load of silicon to waterproof stuff like distributors and ECMs. Might be worth just relocating the ECM up into the roof though. And beyond that dialectric grease everything and yeah seal it up with electrical tape.

It's easy to extend the rear differential breather using a longer replacement length of vacuum hose. Optionally, you can place a small fuel filter over the open end.

The only components that are particularly sensitive to water are the computers, and those are inside the cabin under the dashboard.

Unless you plan on driving through water deeper than your doors, you don't really need to waterproof anything. The engine bay is already largely waterproof. If you drive through extremely muddy deep water, you'll probably fry your alternator before you damage anything that might need waterproofing.

Lining the airbag with duct tape isn't really helpful, either. It's already air-tight.

• Like 1

Yup, dielectric grease absolutely! Also self vulcanizing rubber tape-originally for marine applications, used in conjunction with Plasidip brushable liquid. & Im sure someone sells a w/p alternator-lol.