Performance Chips/Modules

M in KC

Has anybody done any R&D on these alleged "lighting in a bottle" devices? The ones I'm talking about appear all the time on evilbay for next to nothing. Do they work? Do some work better than others? Or is it another one of those things on the long list of things that "if it sounds to good to be true it probably isn't"? :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Are you referring to replacement ECU's (at least $300) or the "one wire wonder device" that sell for under $100?

The one wire wonder devices work very well if you follow their instructions to replace spark plugs at the same time as installing their wonder device AND your old spark plugs were shot.

Of course, you get the EXACT same results if you just change spark plugs and don't install the device!

Do the math to see how effective the device is.... :D

"The ones I'm talking about appear all the time on evilbay for next to nothing."

They're total crap, basically just resistors that confuse your computer into dumping in more fuel so you get a tit bit more HP and a lot bit less fuel economy.

I was suckered into buying one of those MAF sensor resisters... I brought it to a mechanic because the instructions said it should have two wires and mine has three wires.

Well,,, the mechanic advised me NOT to install it... So I didn't. It cost about $15 after S/H, so I wasn't out that much.... Just learned a valuable lesson about cheap mods...