Stick with efan, or back to clutch fan

Citron

The PO ditched the shroud and installed an efan on my 92. He wired it off of the accesory position on the ignition. I switched it to the run position so I could listen to the radio without the fan on.

I have been thinking about getting a fan controller so the fan doesn't run all the time. However, I have been following the other post where the member is having issues getting his efan to shut off. A member made a good point on there about limping out with a failed alternator and the efan sucking battery capacity.

So, you people that have made the switch, is there a big, noticeable power advantage to the efan? Is it worth it? If not, I am thinking about getting a shroud from a junkyard and putting a new fan/clutch on and ditching the efan.

Although shroudless efan does make it very easy to work on the front of the engine.

I went to a Taurus fan on my 87 and I love it. I'm using a Digital Dakota fan controller though. Couldn't be happier with it even just for the simple fact that accessing the front of the engine is so much easier without the fan and shroud in the way.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by RCWD21

I went to a Taurus fan on my 87 and I love it. I'm using a Digital Dakota fan controller though. Couldn't be happier with it even just for the simple fact that accessing the front of the engine is so much easier without the fan and shroud in the way.

Do you have a shroud? I will look into the digital Dakota.

The Taurus fan has a shroud around it, I mounted to directly to my radiator with a 70 amp relay for the slow speed and a 150 amp continuous duty (300 amp surge) solenoid for the high speed since I couldn't get a direct answer on current and amperage requirements for the fan.

I also use a stand alone temp sensor for the controller. You can set it to come on and off to whatever temp you want. And there's also a connection that powers the fan on hi for when the AC is on.

It can cool my temps down from 185 to 170 in about 45 seconds on the low speed for the fan.

I use the fan clutch because on the trail I have seen people's fan controllers fail a few times. Leaving them to either overheat or have to wire it to be always on till they get home...My A/C works just fine in traffic... :shrug:

Edited by adamzan
  • Like 2

I use the fan clutch because on the trail I have seen people's fan controllers fail a few times. Leaving them to either overheat or have to wire it to be always on till they get home...My A/C works just fine in traffic... :shrug:

Reliability is my main concern with an efan. I live and wheel in a remote area, for the lower 48, so if I break down, it's not like I am on a trail in an ORV park that people frequent. Most trails I am on haven't been driven on in years, so it would be a long walk out.

I am going to think about it some more, but I am leaning towards going back to stock.

I used the maxima fan on my 88, until I installed the 3.3 then went with the fan that came with the 3.3.

not sure if the clutch is any heavier duty but the fan is and the 88 runs just as cool or cooler

• Like 1