How I replace front speakers

deluded

My SE had the 8 speaker system with 5x7s. The cones were intact but NO rubber around the edge... and pathetic sound. I didn't want a competition stereo, just similar to stock sound. Alpine sps-517 are under 60$/pr delivered and seem to be decent quality; but they are 6x8s and absolutely will not fit in the stock housings/spacers with any amount of modification. Sound Mekanix to the rescue with their 18mm pvc cnc'd spacers (about 25$/pr delivered). 18mm is nearly identical to stock and there is no issue with window glass interference with these speakers. Sound Mekanix also has mdf spacers for less than half the cost, but water can get into the door and break that material down. I drilled the four 1/8" holes and added 1.5" number 10 stainless steel sheet metal screws for the final product:

20170126_143010.jpgjpg images

20170126_143032.jpgimage

the pvc spacers did need a VERY SLIGHT radius placed on the ends where the door sheet metal curves up... see the second pic. took 10 seconds on the grinder or even with a file.

I used the same speakers in the rear but the speaker structure required about 3/32" of material removed around the entire circumference. that was a pita! while there I noticed my sound dampening material (tar with aluminized backing) was falling down/off. i applied some butal sealant from a tube/gun and used my Dynamat installation roller to make a good bond. Worked perfectly!

Stereo sounds nearly as good as new (I imagine) for about 135$ (louder than the wind noise now at least :) ). I also added an aux input circuit to the OEM stereo so I can use the 3.5mm jack to play music from my phone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1