93 Nissan Pathfinder: Front crank oil seal question

MrEviLDeD

Hello everyone..

Hopefully someone will see this quick and be able to answer. I know this might seem like a stupid question but to replace the oil pump seal would I need to drain the oil from the truck? I wasnt going to take the oil pump off and remove the seal... I guess I should just drop the oil and remove the oil pump as well since I have new gaskets with the seal?

With that said the question is, this. Do I need to drain the oil from the Pathfinder to replace just the front crank seal without removing the oil pump?

Ok thank you. When I got back under there it looked like I had to remove the oil pan and proper re seal the pan and the oilpump when the oil pump went back in. Doesnt look like you can take the oil pan off without pulling the engine up at least 10".. Either way I will get that seal out and put the new one in.. Thank you for the information.

Are you after the oil pump seal, or the front crank seal? I didn't do either the first time, then something started leaking, and it turned out to be the crank seal. Easy enough to do, I just had to tear everything down again, which I was less than happy about. It's just a round one like the cam seals, easy enough to deal with. I never touched the oil pump seal or the pan.

I cleaned it all out very well so this morning I will check to see if there is any oil leaking from the seal. I am not after the oil pump but I do have a complete crank seal set, so has the oil pump gasket, the filter gaskets as well as the crank seal. So figured I would change it all out while I was in there. The oil pump looked to be in good shape however it looked like there was a touch of oil building up under the crank seal so went out and bought the gasket set. I will set it aside with my real seal, and my valve cover gaskets. I will check it all again when I do the plenum to get access to the LH valve cover at which time I will also most likely replace the cam sprocket seals. Been chasing a small oil leak for the last year. Not sure if it is coming from the LH valve cover and leaking under the engine or if it is coming from the real seal or the cam seals. I am not going to do it today unless the seal is broke then I will replace just it before I put it all back together again.

You don't need to take the oil pump off. Just replace the crank seal and be on your way. It is a lot of labour to remove the oil pump. Like, you may as well pull the motor out of the truck a lot of labour...

Yea realized that yesterday. LOTS of work. There was no oil leak down over night so I took that as a sign that the seal itself was still in good shape and chose to not remove it. I will do it next timing belt replacement. Will most likely do the oil pump as well as the same time.

Been putting off the valve cover gasket replacement, the rear oil seal replacement and my clutch is starting to go. So I figure I will squeeze as many miles out of the 100k suggested timing belt replacement and do it all at one time.

Now just hoping that the water pump is installed correctly and that I have the timing belt back on and properly aligned (question in another thread).. If all goes well put on the timing covers, put the balancer, rad and belts back on and be back in drive :)

Thanks as always for the help.