Premium Gas?

Trainman

Just wondering what the thoughts were about the use of premium gas on the 01-04 Pathfinders. I use regular but am I risking any damage to the motor or emission system? :shrug: I figure I will have reduced power but what else?

Thanks, Will

When I first bought my PF I used 85 oct but I got a lot of pinging with my 5 speed. It may not be as noticeable if you have an auto. But due to the high compression engine I only use 93 oct since week two of owning my Pathfinder.

What elevation is Memphis, trial? I used 85 octane in my '87SE, but that was at over 5,000ft. in Nevada. You can get away with it because of less oxygen. Matter of fact 85 is the "regular" up there. Here in Az. (165 ft.) I'm back to 87 octane... :shrug:

In my neck of Canada, we have 87, 89 and 91 octane gas. The difference between 87 and 91 is $0.10/liter or $0.38/ US gallon (or about $8.00 for a full tank). Can add up quick. I have not noticed any pinging, even when pushing it hard at 110 km/hr up a 6% grade. So, is there potential for long term damage? (Our Sienna is supposed to take premium as well but again we do not notice any difference). Thanks for all the input. :D Will

PS our elevation is 600 m (2,000 ft) with highway passes up to 1,700 m (5,600 ft).

Edited by Trainman

hardware, I don't know my elevation but I can't be that high. I notice the ping early and I want to get a lot of miles on my pf so I'm not going to chance it. I think it also depends on what kind of engine you have and the 3.5l are a higher compression I think???

What elevation is Memphis, trial? I used 85 octane in my '87SE, but that was at over 5,000ft. in Nevada. You can get away with it because of less oxygen. Matter of fact 85 is the "regular" up there. Here in Az. (165 ft.) I'm back to 87 octane...  :shrug:

Nevada's lowest octane rating is now 87. :)

What's 3.5I, is that an inline-6 or Fuel Injected?

Edited by 90seven

He wrote 3.5 L, not I. :D

I use 85 octane in my 3.3 here around denver, but 3.3's require lower octane to begin with. If you're not experiencing any pinging/knocking when you get on the gas, then I don't think the engine is being harmed. So I'd say keep doing what you're doing, and just up the octane if you start hearing pinging ;)

He wrote 3.5 L, not I. :D

I use 85 octane in my 3.3 here around denver, but 3.3's require lower octane to begin with. If you're not experiencing any pinging/knocking when you get on the gas, then I don't think the engine is being harmed. So I'd say keep doing what you're doing, and just up the octane if you start hearing pinging ;)

Oops! :dance: