Help don't know the part name - can't find a picture either. need it fixed. ASAP

BrianD

Yesterday I took my 98 Pathy to the mechanic to find the source of a front end/ steering wheel wobble at 80 km/ 50 mph. under torque and again when I slow down.

We found that my frame was rusted out where the front lower control arm/ A arm and the ???? motor mount support bracket/ arm ? (passenger side) are attached at the rear( if that makes sense). Both the frame and the ? support? are rusted thru and have movement when a pry bar is used with some force.

I looked thru the giant Service manual for the name and picture of the part with no luck. It's minus F-off outside so I don't really wanna crawl under to take a picture..and it's pretty hard to see where the problem is as well. It's hidden well from view which is why I nvr caught it sooner.

I saw that the engine mount is bolted both ends so I'm assuming I cud get one from the wreckers.

Does anyone know what this part is called? EVER changed one?

At any rate it's not safe and if it let's go, I'll be headed for the rhubarb.

I'm thinking ..why cudn't I just weld both the frame and mount with steel plates?

I don't think I'm ever gonna remove this ?? engine support bracket ever anyways.

I don't wanna buy another vehicle over this one prolm..but it's not safe.

It's got 317,000 + km and everything still works great.

Your Thots?

I think you're talking about the subframe, which is a large steel frame that the suspension and steering components mount to, as well as provides the mounting surface for the engine mounts. The rear mount area, above the tail end of the lower control arm, has rusted on many owners.

Does it look like this first pic in this link?

http://forums.nicoclub.com/rust-right-side-shaking-qx4-t582076.html

Yesterday I took my 98 Pathy to the mechanic to find the source of a front end/ steering wheel wobble at 80 km/ 50 mph. under torque and again when I slow down.

We found that my frame was rusted out where the front lower control arm/ A arm and the ???? motor mount support bracket/ arm ? (passenger side) are attached at the rear( if that makes sense). Both the frame and the ? support? are rusted thru and have movement when a pry bar is used with some force.

I looked thru the giant Service manual for the name and picture of the part with no luck. It's minus F-off outside so I don't really wanna crawl under to take a picture..and it's pretty hard to see where the problem is as well. It's hidden well from view which is why I nvr caught it sooner.

I saw that the engine mount is bolted both ends so I'm assuming I cud get one from the wreckers.

I'm thinking ..why cudn't I just weld both the frame and mount with steel plates?

I don't think I'm ever gonna remove this ?? engine support bracket ever anyways.

Your Thots?

I think there's recall on that. I might be mistaken.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

Your Thots?

Also if your problem falls under the recall you would need to to take the Pathy to a Nissan dealer. They will look at it at and determine if the rust has deemed the vehicle unsafe to operate. Which means they would scrap it. I'm not a 100% sure your problem is the recall or not. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

Edited by Mrelcocko
  • Like 1

I believe you are referring to what we call the "subframe". The official name for the part is "engine cradle".

http://www.courtesyparts.com/nissan/pathfinder/544000w000/1997-year/le-trim/3-3l-v6-gas-engine/front-suspension-cat/suspension-components-scat/?part_name=engine-cradle

The labor to replace that is going to be non-trivial, but it can be done.

• Like 2

If it's what I think it is, it may actually be both subframe and the chassis pad it connects to. I've seen several pics of damage in the same spot. Not pretty.

@Mrelecko, there was a rust recall but it was for the area behind the front struts, and not the subframe (if that's what BrianD is referring to). But either way, you're right, he should check for rust in that area as well.

• Like 2

I think you're talking about the subframe, which is a large steel frame that the suspension and steering components mount to, as well as provides the mounting surface for the engine mounts. The rear mount area, above the tail end of the lower control arm, has rusted on many owners.

Does it look like this first pic in this link?

http://forums.nicoclub.com/rust-right-side-shaking-qx4-t582076.html

Thanx man - no I've already welded plates on top of those to fix that area of rust.

I believe you are referring to what we call the "subframe". The official name for the part is "engine cradle".

http://www.courtesyparts.com/nissan/pathfinder/544000w000/1997-year/le-trim/3-3l-v6-gas-engine/front-suspension-cat/suspension-components-scat/?part_name=engine-cradle

The labor to replace that is going to be non-trivial, but it can be done.

Ya man - I that's it! I thot there was a short pc that was bolt on to hold the motor mount. Lux like I'll be welding plates into it again.

I called a guy who does amazing work with steel and a welder. He builds award winning hot rods from the ground up. $100 k and more.

He won't work on my vehicle..says they are too much a PITA to work on.? Pardon?

Last time I used thin cardboard( tip: the last "page " from a 8 1/2" x 11" pad of paper werx great!) to make templates then transferred the outline onto 3/16" plate steel..then cut the plate with a sawzall..welded a bunch of plates into it. I did in the summer in my driveway - I don't have a garage I can get it into to do this. I'm worried about catastrophic failure and crashing. I can hear snap crackle pop when pull into my driveway.

The last time I fixed it my mechanic said it was a $1200 job. I bleev him cause it took me over 2 days to do it. I only found the prolm cause the right front brake line failed.

It'd be great to do a frame off resto - ppl wud think I'm nuts to spend $10,000 or more if i did it, but I really like this Pathy.

Lux like I'll be using my mig again after I find a garage to do it in.

Thanx for your help! Cheers

• Like 1

It'd be great to do a frame off resto - ppl wud think I'm nuts to spend $10,000 or more if i did it, but I really like this Pathy.

I don't think anyone would, we're all crazy and we all love Pathys!