Compatible Harmonic Balancers for 93 Pathfinder

MrEviLDeD

Hey everyone. I was wondering if all the models of Pathfinder between 90 and 95 have the same balancers? I am looking for a cheaper alternative to new and there is a 92, and a 95 pathfinder at the local yard and might be able to find a replacement balancer..

This pathfinder has the three belts not the serpentine belt or the thicker one with the teeth just standard belts. Would the 92 be a closer match? I know they are different I just dont want to want my time heading out to the wreckers to find out that its not compatible at all.

I appreciate any suggestions here. (Still cannot believe that I bent the balancer, sigh)

All the vg30i and e engines use the same pulley system and harmonic balancer, where things get different is the woodruff key in the crank snout. I believe earlier ones have 2 and later ones have 1? Either way as long as it's off of a vg30 pathfinder or hardbody it'll work. My harmonic bal acer on my 87 with a vg30i came from a 93 harbody with the vg30e in it.

And are you sure you bent the balancer and not just the pulleys that bolt to the balancer?

Sent from inside my potato

Edited by RCWD21

Oh, there is a difference between the two? I thought that the whole 3 pulley assembly was the harmonic balancer. In that context I have clearly damaged the pulley that is closest to the engine. Can I just purchase the damaged pulley? If so I will start looking around but not sure what to look for. Thank you for the distinction though. Assumed it was all one unit...

Yeah, the pulley unbolts. Six bolts on the face. Note where the timing marks on the pulley were before you remove it because it can go on six different ways, and five of them are wrong--the engine won't care if it's on wrong but you'll have trouble setting ignition timing if the marks aren't aligned right. (Thinking about it, though, you could just try the light on each cylinder until you found the one that the marks were aligned to.)

When I took my balancer out I used a duck's foot type where you screw long bolts into the holes in the balancer (once the pulley is off). The tool was fairly cheap and the balancer didn't put up much of a fight. Probably a wrecking yard or part-out item. How badly is it tweaked?

This is why you should never use a jaw type puller on this. You need to use a proper puller. Like the one Slart used. I bought mine at canadian tire 5 years ago for around 20-30 dollars. I've used it countless times on my own vehicles and have loaned it to friends. Well worth the investment.

But to answer your Q, yes any should work. The good thing is you can just remove the 6 bolts and take the pulleys off from the balancer itself.

Edited by adamzan

Here, I had left it on the Pathfinder. So went out to remove it just to take a pictures..

xev6_harmonicbalancer_001.jpg

The blue material you see is the denim I used between the pincers of the vice grip so I didn't damage it (ironic huh?) I loosened the pulley bolt very slowly however i hadnt noticed the vice grips twist under the alternator brace :<.

It looks like there are two pulleys, one in the front, and a dual in the back. Where would someone like me find a replacement for that back pulley? I am heading to the wreckers tomorrow hopefully to pull one of two they have on a 92, and a 95. Not sure if they have the pulley until I get there however I am taking both if they both have pulleys. :) Just in case..

This is why you should never use a jaw type puller on this. You need to use a proper puller.

I have a harmonic balancer puller however it isnt compatible with the pathfinder and I do not have the machine bolts to use. I scrounged through my bolts and didnt find any with a thread that matched..

That was done with a bloody pair of vice grips. I used them as I had seen a number of videos use them. However I didnt realized that they were vg33's not 30's so yea.. . stupid of me..

However with that said. the 4" jaw puller I picked up on the short ends of the puller seemed to work ok pulling it off.

Adamzan, that damage was from my dumb ass loosening the crank bolt :/ pulley came off smoothly with the jaws. (all I had)

with that said. what is the thread size I should be looking for to use with my powerbuilt harmonic puller? So I can get bolts that fit and use the proper puller.

The 6 bolts that hold the pulleys to the balancer are M6x1.00 thread. And in the future if you're trying to remove the crank bolt and don't have compressed air you can always find the rotation of the engine and position a breaker bar against the frame and I stress frame here, then after you remove all 6 plugs and disconnect your ignition coil lead from your distributor (just incase) you can bump the engine over with the starter to loosen the bolt.

If you have a manual transmission put it in 5th, pull your e-brake, chock your wheels and use a torque wrench to torque the crank bolt back to spec. If you have an auto transmission you can stuff thick rope into a cylinder to hold the engine from turning.

As for bending the pulley back you could if it's your only vehicle but I have no idea what it would do to your belt and you risk having a belt jump off. From your pic it doesn't look too bad and couple be gently bent back in place. Although I would go ahead and replace it since bending it back could crack it.

When you go to get the pulley all you need is a small ratchet with a deep well 10mm socket. You should be able to just gentle tap the pulley with the handle of the ratchet or gentle pry it off if it's stuck but most times they pop right off once the bolts are gone.

*** Before you remove your old pulley take note of where your timing marks are in relation to where the woodruff key slot is on the balancer that way you don't have to fight with moving it around when you do your ignition timing.

Sent from inside my potato

It is my only vehicle. So it was more of a last resort if I cannot find a suitable replacement at the wreckers tomorrow morning.

Thank you for the bolt dimensions. I will head into CT tomorrow before heading to the wreckers so I pull the other pulleys with the proper tool.

It is a manual so the 5th gear suggestion will apply. As for the breaker bar and the frame. Heh moment of blankness.. its a large breaker and of course no way it could go INSIDE the engine compartment (completely blanked out on being able to position it under the truck against the frame. Will do that next time I am able for sure. Would have saved me a bunch of time.

I have some metal experience and in that worst case scenario think I could get the pulley back to reasonably true, at least maybe last me long enough to find a better replacement. I am hoping that the wreckers will have a balancer but it is good to know that it doesn't look that damaged and could potentially be repaired enough to get me by for a short time.

There is a bit of a sharp slight gouge inside the pulley path that I am more worried about. If it doesn't work the truth is I am no further behind.

You can bend it back till you can't see it. BUT, in a very short time, your belt will show you where it is.

Hell, you can use a steering wheel puller. Once you unbolt the outside pulley, use those bolt holes for you puller. You will obviously need longer bolts. No damage to the pulleys or the rubber isolator that is IN your balancer. Just like the factory service manual.