SFD: Paint or powdercoat?

XPLORx4

To y'all with SFD blocks, how did you finish the bare metal? Etch/prime/paint or powdercoat the parts? Pros/cons to each? Would you do it differently if you had to do it again? Why or why not?

Thanks!

Primed then painted. It has held up well, including a heavy power washing last weekend.

OTOH, I had my sliders and tire carrier powder coating, and can't say I'm pleased by it. I think it's because of the guy I took it to, not necessarily the process.

So does that mean you have blocks ready??

So does that mean you have blocks ready??

I have everything for a 4" lift sitting in a box in my garage, except for the rear springs and shocks. I haven't ordered those yet.

• Like 1

I have everything for a 4" lift sitting in a box in my garage, except for the rear springs and shocks. I haven't ordered those yet.

Excellent!

If you can use the diamond hard enamel paint. I painted my truck frame with it and it leveled like glass and you could smack it with a hammer and not chip it off.

Haven't used the diamond hard (is that a specific flavor?), but I do use enamels when I can. They tend to hold up pretty well.

Powder coating would be the most durable, as long as the metal is prepped correctly. You wouldn't have to worry about it for years.

However, spray enamel would be fine, you may need to touch it up every so often though.

Excellent!

Haven't used the diamond hard (is that a specific flavor?), but I do use enamels when I can. They tend to hold up pretty well.

Yeah the Diamond Hard is a brand that Rural King used to sell. I started using the spray paint and they quit selling it so I started ordering it on amazon by the case. They sold pints and quarts in oil based I believe. My brother cut it with toluene and had insanely good luck.