WHAT TO EXPECT??????

findmypath

Hey All. I'm thinking about putting in a K&N filter in my 03 LE. I had a K&N filter before but it was on a different car and different brand.....so my question is what should I expect from the drop in K&N filter in regards to performance and other specs. FEEDBACK VERY APPRECIATED. Thanks.

I would stay away from a cone filter if you drive through "deep" mud or water. Otherwise, go for it. I had the JWT and didn't have a problem with it, until I decided to attempt to install a snorkel, can't do that with a cone filter.

Guest blitZ

I installed the Frankencar intake with the Apexi cotten filter. I decided against the oil type filters because of the additional maintenance and possibilty of getting oil residue on any sensors.

Well, on my FZ1, the dyno with a regular filter and a K&N was identical so their power clim is a bit shady. Plus, I've read a lot of reviews and tests where they say an oil-soaked foam filter only filters better for a week or so- after that, it's all clogged up and gets progressively worse airflow- moreso than a paper filter. I've used K&N oil filters and they are poorly constructed so I'm staying away from all K&N stuff. I'd say use a high-quality paper air filter. For oil filters, Amsoil, Mobil1, and Baldwin are very high quality- I think the Baldwin is the best, followed by the other two.

"Washable and Reusable"

"Lasts up to 50,000 miles before cleaning is required depending on driving conditions"

"10 Year / Million Mile Limited Warranty"

"Economical, a K&N Air Filter Will Last the Life of Your Vehicle"

"Environmentally Friendly, K&N Reusable Air Filters Reduce the Volume of Disposable Air Filters that end up in the Nation's Landfills"

I just remember the back of my box yammering about how many paper filters you would go through in the life of a K&N.

Well, on my FZ1, the dyno with a regular filter and a K&N was identical so their power clim is a bit shady. Plus, I've read a lot of reviews and tests where they say an oil-soaked foam filter only filters better for a week or so- after that, it's all clogged up and gets progressively worse airflow- moreso than a paper filter. I've used K&N oil filters and they are poorly constructed so I'm staying away from all K&N stuff. I'd say use a high-quality paper air filter. For oil filters, Amsoil, Mobil1, and Baldwin are very high quality- I think the Baldwin is the best, followed by the other two.

You're incredibly confused. Where did foam enter the equation of a cotton gauze K&N filter? Foam would be of the cheap a$$ ricer variety.