98 auto trans shifting issues

maddmark1981

Have you checked the fluid level or the condition of the fluid yet? Have you also checked to make sure none of the cooler lines are pinched or clogged?

Also, does it shift better if you start in 1st and manually shift all the way to drive?

Sent from inside my potato

We'll here's the deal, 2nd gear and Overdrive are non existent. 1st gear works fine and reverse too. I put lucus in the granny, still no change. Where/what's the cooler lines? I should also mentioned that the gear shifter console feels like it's about to burst into flames because it gets so hott..

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

We'll here's the deal, 2nd gear and Overdrive are non existent. 1st gear works fine and reverse too. I put lucus in the granny, still no change. Where/what's the cooler lines? I should also mentioned that the gear shifter console feels like it's about to burst into flames because it gets so hott..

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Lol at the 'granny' yes, these auto trans are like old grannies.

Look at the bottom of your radiator and you'll see 2 5/8" sized lines running to 2 metal lines that run down the passenger side along your oil pan. Once behind your oil pan they come back over to the drivers side and they'll travel to your transmission.

With the heat you're feeling more than likely isn't the boot missing since you're already missing a few gears. It's getting hot because the transmission is trying to stay in a gear but with worn clutch plates it can't hold so the steels and friction discs are slipping and heating up everything.

Does your fluid smelt burnt and is it still a nice pinkish red color?

And get that Lucas stuff out of there, it does more harm than good. And at this point there's no cure in a bottle. I hate to say this but it could be rebuild or swap time for your transmission.

Sent from inside my potato

• 2 weeks later...