Boise 6 Disc Changer

Trialsin26

Has anyone else had a problem with their factory Boise 6 disk changer? The one in my PF is going on the fritz. It makings a lot of weird clicking sounds and takes forever to find disc 1. Looks like it might be time for an upgrade.

I don't have the 6 disk changer, but i've been having problems with my Bose in dash cd player in my 97.....skips alot and when it gets hot here in SoCal it ejects the cd's...I think its time to rip out the head unit, speakers and amp and replace the whole thing....its done well for 8 years of severe abuse and YES I off road with all my windows down, cd blarring(sp?) I heard it scares the coyotes and mountain lions away! sssh

welcome to the world that is the 01 6-disc changer. My dad's 01 did that about 6 months after he got it (used). The dealer wanted 700 to replace it or 250 to fix it. POS. We bought one from a guy on ebay selling them for 01's, he even included an updated wiring harness to make it work. It works great.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=38641

he has them up every once in a while, just keep an eye out. Otherwise the only radio you can replace it with is another Nissan BOSE radio. Due to the set up of the BOSE radio with the amps on the speakers you must use that type of radio. Any Nissan BOSE radio will work.

good luck and if you have anymore questions lemme know.

So you can't replace it with an aftermarket head unit??? like sony etc???? That sounds kind of weird. :o

No, you can put any kind of head you want in there. Just takes a dash kit and a couple of wiring adapters. Nothing out of the norm.

mmm the problem we ran into was that the speakers would have to be replaced. At least thats what the guys at both best buy and circuit city told us. As much as I don't want to believe them, I wasn't going to experiment with my dads truck and he wanted to keep that stock look anyways. I'm sure you can put an aftermarket it in there, just might take a little more work. Probably have a situation similar to mine. I replaced the stock one in my 97 which had the external amplifier and now I can't turn it up all that loud and I can hear the cd spinning through the speakers. I want to bypass the amp, just havent had time yet. Good luck!

Well, It look like I'm going to have to do something. Now my Disc changer dosn't work at all and I keep getting a Err2 message??? Well I can look at the bright side. If I get a new head unit I'll finally have a good place to mount my CB. :P

My 01's changer went out on me couple months ago. I ordered a Alpine headunit off crutchfield.com and got the adapter they sell also to allow me to use the hu with the bose speakers. It was really easy to install, but it sounds like crap. Eventually I will replace my speakers and add an amp, but for now I guess its fine.

Is this what you need to fix the problem?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-zTOk7KfLDhT/c...nfo&i=142C4NN03

THat's the adapter I used. It will allow you to use an aftermarket headunit with your stock bose speakers but it will NOT sound as good as it did with the stock headunit. In my opinion it sounds much worse than stock and thats why I want to replace the stock speakers.

Ok, First let me spell this correctly "BOSE". Ok second let me see if I can get clerifaction on this BOSE stereo speaker thing. Are the amps in the speaker? If so, if I replace both the head unit and the speakers will I have to do anything else? Like rewire the whole stereo or something of that nature? Please help me out Memphis radio is killing my ears, I need my CD's. :wacko: Thanks

Ok, First let me spell this correctly "BOSE". Ok second let me see if I can get clerifaction on this BOSE stereo speaker thing.  Are the amps in the speaker?  If so, if I replace both the head unit and the speakers will I have to do anything else? Like rewire the whole stereo or something of that nature?  Please help me out Memphis radio is killing my ears, I need my CD's. :wacko: Thanks

I am by no means a stereo expert but here is my understanding of factory bose systems and replacing parts of it. Someone correct me if I am wrong please.

The bose speakers are individually amplified. They are made to work with the factory bose headunit. You can replace just the headunit alone but you need a special adapter for it to work with the factory bose amps. The crutchfield link you provided is one of the adapters available to add an aftermarket cd player to the factory bose speakers. This setup (aftermarket cd player, special adapter, and bose speakers) will not sound all that great, in my opionin it sounds much worse than the full bose system. (This is the setup I currently have)

You could replace the cdplayer and also replace all the bose speakers without rewiring the car. You can just use the existing wires going into the factory bose speakers, cut off the ends, and connect them to the new speakers. This setup will be basically unamplified since its just a headunit running directly to the speakers. It might sound alright but you won't be able to get much volume out fo the speakers before distortion.

The best option for replacing the factory bose system would be to replace the headunit, replace the speakers, and add an amplifier. This means you will need to basically rewire the entire car but it will give you the best sound quality, it should should sound better than the factory bose setup did.

Like I said, I am by no means a car stereo expert, this is all based off my understanding of the bose system, discussions about this topic with the car audio shop that did my Maxima's system, and my slight knowledge of car audio.

I replaced my Bose with a Sony higher-end head unit, and it sounded as bad as stock (adapter was needed). Anyway, then I trew in my amp and sub and the amp (with stock speakers) made a HUGE diference. In fact, I may not replace my spekers till one of them blows up eventually. I'm not sure if that will happens cuz I'm not really a ghetto boy.

• 8 months later...
Guest NizmoGTPangel

I am also starting to get the clicking sound, only sometimes though. It doesn't it when I start up my truck, and the calms down, then it might happen again, and if i change the CD it's fine. I thought maybe it needs a cleaning or something. I have a BOSE stock system also. But I am looking on putting a system with a sub and amp, but not sure which one would sounds the best.

My Pathfinder

~Kari~

post-7-1134558414.jpg

Hmm...I get a clicking noise too in the Bose.

It happens with a fairly new CD, mostly burned ones. The clicking is more pronounced in the later tracks than the first several. I will pay more attention to the matter.

Circuit City also told me that if I get a new HU I will need to get new speakers as well. Being the no-income student with good taste, I am now living with the Bose setup but also have a 10" Kicker Comp sub (cheapo $80) with an Alpine V12 amp, forgot the wattage. It is connected to the factory stuff using a rear line-out, basically it is wired to the rear speakers.

Obviously, a sub/amp combo wired to a factory HU will sound less controlled than one wired to an aftermarket HU would, but the sub takes over the low notes that the speakers have trouble with. Using the "Audio" button, my BASS is -5, TREBLE is +3, and the FADE is +2. This makes the sub less pronounced, letting the door speakers focus on the high notes instead of struggleing and using too much wattage on the lows. It sounds pretty good too; I have a spare Kicker comp that I will probably use. We are going to build a new box out of MDF and bridge the Alpine. I want to paint the box the Titanium color of the bumpers of the truck and stick a 2002 Nissan hamburger on there, maybe with a "Pathfinder" badge. Dreaming, I know...

Now back to college finals time... :oops:

The factory BOSE system is hard to match because the impedance of the system is 2-ohms. Aftermarket stuff runs on 4-ohms so mismatching the HU and the speakers will cause poor sound.

I think you can replace the HU, amp, and speakers without rewiring. The stock BOSE has individual amps for the front speakers on the doors next to the speakers and a rear amp for the rear speakers. So I think you can put a HU in. For the rear speakers, replace the factory BOSE amp and a 2-channel amp to power the rears. For the front, splice another 2-channel amp somewhere in the front and then bypass the BOSE amps in the doors. It's kinda a pain since I don't think anyone makes adapters for amp conectors so you'd have to do splicing.

I'm running the same setup as OR - taking the signal from the rear speakers, running em into a 2-channel amp, and then to a sub. It really fills out the low-end, but I still need to fiddle around with the settings to get the sound right.

:takebow: First post!

I run a Kenwood CD player with 10 disc changer in my 99.5 that had the bose system in it. I don't have that adapter, and I think it sounds great, although it did sound a little better with the bose headunit.

I also had the same setup in my 96, and it sounded great also... I don't get the popping or bad sound quality that I have heard of people getting without using the adapter for an aftermarket headunit with the bose system.