Getting confused about oil type.

I am getting confused about the oil type and grade I have to use in my 2000 Pathy R50 VG33e... Reading about oil grade... All of you or most part of you (Pathfinder users) use 5w30 or 10w30 oil... But here (in Colmbia) I asked in some forums and they use 20w50 or similar... And they use mineral oil... I asked some mecanics... And they said you can use 20w50 or 10w30...

Here in Bogotá (2600 meters altitude) we have dry and rain season... Temperature almost never goes down 0 celcius... And is difficult to have 28c or 30c... But if you drive two hours out of the city you can have 25c to 40c... And you woul be at 1000 meters altitude... Or you ca reach sea level and great summer weather at 4 hours ride....

Should I use 10w30 or 20w50... Mineral, synthetic or semi... Thanks! 👍

Personally I would use synthetic 5w30 or 10w30. Synthetic seems to be better quality and more reliable. Do you do a lot of driving on dirt or dusty roads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do city driving... Some road driving with variable characteristics... In the city you will find depending on the season of the year lots of water pools or dust... Hahahah you never know... You may have a beatifull sunny day... And suddenly cold storm with hail.... Hahahahaaha

Does someone knows something about SK SIC oil?

http://zicoil.pk

Thanks!

I have a naive question... Can I change the oil filter without changing the oil? Or do i have to drain all the oil before I change the filter... And then put again the oil?

Well, nothing prevents you from removing the oil filter without draining it. But no, you normally would not do this. You will drain some of it when you remove the filter, and there would be an unknown amount of oil remaining in the pan...you'd have to guess how much oil to replace.

Why do you ask?

I was looking some videos about changing the oil filter at half oil change for keeping the oil cleaner... Or change the oil at home...

I do not know if i will do it but... Y asked just for curiosity...

And there is another question.... Hahahahaha

Do i need to have a special tool for removing the oil filter? Where the filter is located is like PITA to remove i think... Do you remove it with your hands... Just turn it and voilà?

I have changed my scooter motor oil and valvuline... But never a car's oil... Thanks!

Nah, don't worry about the half oil change. Keeping the oil clean is the filter's job, and replacing it during your scheduled oil change is just fine.

No tools should be needed for the filter. When it's replaced, you should only tighten it by hand anyway, so removing it shouldn't require much more than that. However, if it does feel too tight, let the truck run for a minute or so just to warm things up a little, then it should loosen up a little. Not sure if yours has the little "oil channel", but mine has a metal bracket that catches excess oil coming out from the filter port and channels it over the steering rack. I don't think the older trucks have this, but it's brilliant since it's the only part that gets oil on it (and it wipes clean easily).

They do have wrenches and special oil filter sockets of course, but I've never needed them. Except one time. Some dipsh## changed the oil on my buddy's truck and deliberately over-tightened it. I had to destroy the filter (basically punched a large screwdriver through the filter) to remove it. How do I know it was deliberate? They wrote f#ckface on the filter for whatever reason. It wasn't even my truck and I was ready to burn their shop down. :skull:

• Like 2

Just 1 filter per oil change is fine.

I go hand tight going on.

Removing i do use wrenches just to aid in removal. My favorite is the type that releases when turning clockwise and cranks down on the filter when turning counter clockwise.

Here's a tip for changing the oil filter, cut a Coke bottle in half and use it to catch the oil as well as the filter when you unscrew it. No more mess :)

I always tighten it by hand as well.

p1999205682-4.jpg

p1922608493-4.jpg

Edited by dupersc
  • Like 3