95 Pathy - Error Code 55 - No Malfunction

Zed

I've been getting this weird code 55 on long trips - NO MALFUNCTION.

Swapped the old VG30E for this one - riding great, but the CEL kicks on after an hour or two of driving. Usually will go off if I shut the car down and start up again.

I realize there is no problem, but it is unnerving to see that light go on.

Is there any way to void that code, or any suggestions on how to correct this issue?

Code 55? Aww man, you are screwed!!

Honestly, your problem makes no sense. If the CEL turns on, there should be a stored code, OTHER THAN 55.

The only way I see to prevent this reoccurring ISSUE, really, is to stop driving it...

B

55 isn't really a code that gets set, it's just an "all clear" sort of deal. (Though it sounds like yours is saying "no, really... it's fine.") I'm not sure what would set the CEL but not set a code. Watch it, I guess, see if it makes up its mind, and maybe check for any wiring that may have gotten pinched or something during the engine swap. It's also odd that it's taking that long to trigger.

Are you checking for a code before doing the shutdown/restart or after? I don't know how these ECUs are about storing codes, but if turning it off and then on again makes the CEL go away, I'll bet it's making it forget the code as well. If you've got an intermittent issue, and that circuit only skips a beat after driving for a couple hours, the ECU would see nothing wrong when you turned it on and so assume all was well (and give you a 55). I would wait for it to set the CEL again, then stop and check codes without shutting it off and see if that helped it tell me what was wrong.

Thanks for the input, guys.

I wish I could find some sort of rhythm to the madness....

I just know - it's not a huge problem, but still a PITA to see light up.

On my next long trip I'll be sure to check the codes BEFORE I leave, and verify the code when it lights up.

I've pretty much done that - which is why I made this a topic.

Like I said, not a huge issue, but I sure as hell would like to know what the Jap engineers were thinkin' when they made that code 55 (I'm part Jap, so I can say that).

----

As an adendum - Rancho RS5000 (5116) shocks are awesome. Had KYB's up front, Changed everything out for the Ranchos. Love it~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't see this in the previous posts for a possible fix. So here goes, sounds kinda silly but did you check to see if the switch was in the diagnostic mode, or if you have the screw is it turned all the way full clockwise. Also depending on the year there is a code reader port on the left side of the dash. If one of the wires is shorted to ground you may have this issure. I noticed there is also a video on YT on how to read the codes and it has the list of codes and how to erase them. Try looking at this guys playlist called "95 Pathfinder D21 Truck" here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVLXGvrQp0OtA-2Uh-QNLdv7PD4tMRqG7 Hopethis helps.