Exhaust issues

Hey all,

So, recently I had encountered a rattling from under the truck. Initially I had thought it was a heat shield (seems like a common issue) and didn't really think about it too much as work was extremely busy.

I finally got around to crawling under the truck and noticed that one of the connections on the pipes had actually rusted through/off.

Here's an image with the bit circled. The piece is still bolted together and attached to the pipe on the rear muffler side, but has completely disconnected from the piece on the engine side.

Not really sure what my options are here. It looks like these are welded to the piped themselves and then bolted together with a gasket in between.

**EDIT: Maybe I am mistaken, could be something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Exhaust-Repair-Spring-Bolt-Flex-Pipe-Connector-Replacement-Coupling-FX8051-/171101565202 ... which would make more sense after recalling a little lip on the "engine side" of the pipe.

I was thinking of unbolting the connection, cutting away whatever I need to, and adding a coupler of some sort to connect the pipes back up.

Not in the mood to drop too much cash on this and looking for a bit of a work-around.

Any thoughts?

Cheers, Matt

VNvBkPq.jpg

Edited by vancouver.matt

You could eliminate that rear resonator completely if you wanted and just have the exhaust exit the muffler then out over axle. Thats how both of mine are.

Interesting. Then I'd have to get crafty with tubes - which I have no way to shape.

Definitely an option though.

After doing some more research, most guys seem to be either:

1.) bucking up and just replacing cat-back

2.) straight pipe back from the muffler

3.) pulling the resonator and accompanying pipe and throwing a turn-down on what's left/leaving it alone (concerns with carbon monoxide though)

The problem I found with out the back. Is when off road. If you have a steep departure angle against something. Gets smooshed.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk