98 Pathfinder Idle's Up and Down when stopped

Mrelcocko

At times it runs perfect. Other times it does this. When coming to a stop I push the clutch in and the rpms shoot up to 15 to 1600 and will stay or at times it comes back down to the normal 750. I can also be sitting at a red light idle will be normal then all of a sudden the rpms shoot up to 1500 or so and it might stay there or it might come back down. I'm affraid it might be my IAC valve sticking or something. Is this possible? Please help!!!!!!

I had a similar thing happen, though it was when I had been driving for a while and then stopped ( to run into a store or something) and then restarted the idle would jump all over the place.. I found that a few of my vacuum hoses were cracked or not on tight. once I delt with that all was good again.

• Like 1

Ok wrong again. Didn't fix. Back at trying to find the problem. I'm stump.No ses light so no codes to check. Ive tried the spraying carb cleaner to find a vacuum leak and nothing. Maybe a relearn or something? I have a 98 and dont know if i can do that on mine. Replaced valve cover gaskets 3000 miles ago to fix both leaky sides. When I put it back together and ran it for 3 weeks with a check engine light and low idle, sometimes wanted to die on start up after sitting all night and not realizing i didnt hook the electrical connector up to the IAC valve for that period so I had to tear it back down again and hook the IAC up. Ran perfect except now this idle issue of all of a sudden at red lights my idle just jumps up from normal 750 to 15-1600 and may or may not come back down to normal for a few seconds or when it wants too. No SES Light!

I'd check the IAC. Go by the fsm procedures. Heck maybe the plug has some debris or corrosion from being open for 3 weeks. Could try cleaning it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I was afraid of that. Ive got a Haynes service manual and in the troubleshooting section it say. "Engine lopes while idling or idles erratically." This is what it says in the manual. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/474426141977788853/ It says to check PCV valve it might be plugged up. I put a new one in and it made the idle worse. It idles at 1200 or more, up and down all around and never settles down to factory idle @ 700-750 rpm's. Checked for vacuum leaks also. No SES light so I cant run the codes. I tried to post a picture of the trouble shooting section from the service manual but I don't think I uploaded it right, I will check the MAF.

I'd check the IAC. Go by the fsm procedures. Heck maybe the plug has some debris or corrosion from being open for 3 weeks. Could try cleaning it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

What is the fsm procedures?

Factory service manual. Download here: Index of /FSM/Pathfinder

I don't know when the computer needing to relearn stuff started to be a thing, but running it with the idle air unplugged and then plugging it back in again may well have confused it. I would unhook the battery and leave it overnight to make the computer forget whatever it thinks it knows, but I remember my dad's '03 had some kind of Konami code that would reset it properly (some combination of turning the key on and off and playing with the pedals). Should be in the service manual. The EF&EC section is where I'd start.