3.3 to 3.5

cntryboy_88

So I have a 98 with the 3.3 and yesterday I found on Craigslist a 2001 3.5...the guy is gonna sell me the motor tranny and wiring harness/ecu for $500 so I'm pretty stoked about it is there anything more that I would need to make this swap work other than those things?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Get the whole thing if you can...then you're not missing anything.

I won't be able to...he is using it as a parts car as well for his other pathfinder he just doesn't need the motor or tranny

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

OK just to help anyone out on here who decides they think they might want to do this let me stop you now! Lol I'm mid build on this and it was not a good idea...yes I'm going to love my power difference once it's done and yes I will get it done but not before completely removing every wire on the whole front half of this truck...nothing matches up from these 2 engines and to get everything you need the whole truck has to be completely re wired and it's a pain being that I don't have a donor truck sitting in my driveway

I've had my '98 3.3 and my '03 3.5 parked side by side before to compare the differences. It looked like it would be a challenge to say the least!

Sounds like a worthwhile upgrade, that's a 100 horsepower difference is it not?

198 vs 245ish. 265 rated in the cars.

I own both. Tell ya what. Real tempted to ditch the 99 for a 02+ just because of the 3.5.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It's not quite 100 but yes the power difference will be nice but for the money I've got into this truck would have been easier just to buy one with a 3.5 already in it

It's not quite 100 but yes the power difference will be nice but for the money I've got into this truck would have been easier just to buy one with a 3.5 already in it

Ah yes I looked it up, it's not 100 but it almost seems like it. I know someone with the 3.3L and they told me they don't feel safe passing vehicles uphill and such because it feels so gutless.

His is auto and mine is 5-speed so maybe that has something to do it but I drive very calmly most of the time.

My swap went from 3.3 168 HP to the 3.5 at 250 HP (82 HP difference). I parked the '98 and bought a '03. It cost $3000 and I didn't even get my hands dirty plus I have about two tons of spare parts. The '03 makes the old '98 feel like driving a hay wagon and the front end isn't rotted beyond repairs. The extra 82 HP sure is noticable. Yes I can now pass people.

• 4 weeks later...

Have you got this swap completed? I got a 3.3 in my 2000 and it's amazing shape. Motor is well gutless and sounds like a bomb. Got a 01 with a 3.5 complete. Low kms and runs like new. Just wondering what has to be changed to do the swap. I know the ecu, ignition, use the 01 keys, engine wiring harness. Does all the mounts alighn proper and transmission from the 3.3 work? Thanks for any advise. I know it's a ton of work to swap but I'm willing if it's decently reasonable

No Its not completed...litterly every wire has to come out of the car with a 3.5 nothing matches up...the transmission wiring goes into the main dash harness same with the 4x4 wiring...ignition wiring runs into the engine bay it's different abs wiring is different which is in the dash harness you have to reolace...everything! Nothing is the same and I'm telling you now it's not worth it...I'm thinking about finding an 01 and transferring all my lift just so I don't have to rewire everything

Man I really want to do this but it sounds like I'm going to want a small army to help get it done fast. May want to get whole donor from the sounds of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought a 01 to do the swap. I have a 2000 in amazing shape. Zero rust which for where I live is impossible. im going to attempt in within a few months. I'll keep everyone updated with the swap and build

I bought a 01 to do the swap. I have a 2000 in amazing shape. Zero rust which for where I live is impossible. im going to attempt in within a few months. I'll keep everyone updated with the swap and build

• 1 month later...
Guest punkrawker

any updates? Im glad im not the only one who noticed the 164 to 250hp from 3.3 to 3.5. and has been wondering if this swap was possible or not myself.

I almost had all the wiring needed...you will need a donor 3.5 truck for this...then I went to get my 3.5 donor for $400 and it ran fine so I swapped all my parts...you literally have to rewire the whole thing

Guest punkrawker

by rewire you mean just run harness out and connect to what they need to be connected to? no cutting into stuff? time consuming yes, i dont mind running wiring harness if its all there, its the trouble shooting and splicing into things that were once working fine i dont like doing