Anyone use the Torque app. for Android?

DanF.

I have one of those OBDII scanners that sends a Bluetooth signal to my phone, and I use the Torque app. to monitor various sensors in my car. For shıts and giggles I plugged it into my wife's Pathfinder and took the dog for a ride to the beach.

There is apparently a way to do realtime MPG monitoring in the Pathfinder, but I'm guessing it's not properly calibrated, because the values seemed a little bit high.

Here's a screenshot with the vehicle running at a dashboard indicated 50mph with the cruise control ON. Road was at sea level along the coast, so flat as a pancake and straight as and arrow. Tires are new General Grabber AT2s, stock size.

Edit: Here's the OBDII scanner: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

rUh89gPh.png

Edited by DanF.
  • Like 1

I believe that number might be possible in those situations (flat, straight, 50 mph, cruise, sea level, etc). Those conditions are basically optimal for mileage...

Throw in a few stop signs, hills and whatnot, I'm sure you'd be right back where you belong, at 17-18 mpg... ;)

Nope, no smart phone, so no apps.

B

I have one of these http://www.scangauge.com/ It's fuel economy readout, gallons used, and range left in tank is balls on after I set its fuel flow offset by plus 35% with a 3.5 liter engine. I'm not sure how they determine the standard fuel injector by engine size if the ECU isn't reporting it's actual usage. But in my case it was wrong but they had a method to fix it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I have a WiFi OBDII adapter and OBD Fusion (similar to Torque) on my iOS device.

Each of my vehicles (Pathy and '05 Sequoia) has its own Scan-Gauge constantly attached to the OBDII port. Scan-Gauge and OBD Fusion serve different purposes for me.

I only use OBD Fusion for diagnostic info, such as O2 sensor performance, checking readiness monitors, etc. on an occasional basis. I do not want to launch an app every time I get in the car to keep track of MPG and other things that the ECU reports. My iPhone is for navigation, calls, and streaming music.

The Scan-Gauge is connected all the time, except when getting a SMOG check or when I want to run OBD Fusion.

For sheer convenience, the Scan Gauge is a very good choice for tracking fuel economy and reporting other useful OBDII info, and you still get to use your phone for other things, such as music, phone calls, navigation, etc.

For other things that Scan-Gauge can't do, OBD Fusion (or Torque) is superior.

I've been mulling getting a cheap (~$50) Android tablet w/Bluetooth solely to run Torque. No rush, as it's as much of a novelty right now for me as anything.

I use torque! I loved it, but hated how slow it was to respond, most likely the crappy ODB scanner i was using and maybe how slow the pathy might be in communicating. But its a fantastic diagnostics app, so long as you have a decent Bluetooth scanner.

-Kyle

• 2 weeks later...

Seems pretty close to me, the most i saw out of mine was 21mpg. most of the time 19mpg but it was about 2200rpm hwy driving with a little town mixed in every day. seems like your PF is workign well. as far as the android cal, just make sure you enter your vehicle weight, and the engine size, and it should be fairly close. I switched over to obd car doc, because torque wouldn't read the O2 on my VW. but i used torque a long time and seemed to work fine on the PF.

Pat

OBD car doc seems to update faster

Edited by fixinto