Low power

Guest md80man

Guest md80man

Hi everybody! I am a new guy from Pittsburgh and I just bought a 92 SE

with 130k miles on it. but on the test drive it seemed to have less power

than I expected, it ran smooth, and I have had an 87 XE and a 90 SE before

as comparison. The deal is not through yet, so I have 3-4 days to back out

if it is something too expensive arises. Thank you very much for any advice.

Ditto to 88... Motor could be shot, drive train could be shot, tranny could be shot. I take it to a mechanic QUICK with the expectation of backing out of the deal. Not trying to be a joykill, but if you can tell a major difference, something is wrong ! The collary is that it may run just fine for 10 years like that... Check it out.

B

/\ once again to re-iterarte, what they said. In reality, if there is nothing to hide, there should be no problem taking it to a mechanic. But either way, be prepared to walk away, don't get your heart set.

M.M.

Guest md80man

Thanks folks! I have an appointment on tuesday and he will go over it

with compressionchecks and everything. Boy it's hard not to get your

heart set on it. but logic and the wallet will decide. Thanks again.

Wise move ! Good luck and let us know what turns up... Yeah, the old heart can definitely interfere with the brain at times. Depending on the price, it may be worth putting a few $ into it, but then again.... Wait to see what the mech says...

B

Guest md80man

OK folks I had it looked over, and the mech. says buy it! so I did,

we did more testdriving and it does not have any less power after all,

it runs great.

Thank you for all the advice

There has been some talk on the forum about pathy prices. The west coast guys are paying dearly for WD21s. I have frequently sadi that in Cleveland a pathy is cheap. So being from Pittsburgh anothe rNE city. What is the mileage and the price? I have been looking for a 95 that has not got major frame rot and can not find one. A guy in Erie Pa can not give his 90 away. I have looked at it the only real problem is that it took a rear end hit in a minor accident. The rest of the problems are very minor for someone who knows Pathys and major for someone who doesn't. Currently he has it on Ebay for $275. last time I looked no bids.

So what does a good Pathy in Pittsburgh cost?

I'm about 30 Mi. east of Pittsburgh. Bought my 87 SE about 2 months ago. $700. No Rust at all, needed a starter. Manual Trans, 216K, all the bells & whistles & all maintenance receipts included. Interior is in very good shape, just some normal wear. Everything inside & out works. Oh, it also had 4 brand new 31" tires on it as well.

You East Coast/Midwest guys seem to forget that while people pay more for Pathy's out here in the west, we also don't see the salt and associated wear and tear that you do. A 10 year old rig could very possibly be in very solid and clean condition. Because of this, we don't sneeze at pushing the mileage above and beyond "normal". I exempt my Pathy from these "normal" conditions as I found out after the fact of purchase that mine came from back there. But in general California/SW/West Coast cars demand the highest prices when considering classic, collectible, and desired cars. We just tend to have cleaner and gentler driving and living conditions than you guys have to deal with.

Check these out.

Might not be too bad a deal for someone that's not afraid of a little work. Plus, you could post the leftovers back on eBay. The one sitting on the ground was brought up in another thread here just a little while ago. The guy was wanting the buyer to haul it off or strip it there, supposedly he was going to use the frame for a streetrod project if I remember right. Never did figure that one out... ;)

There's not one speck of rust on my '87's body or frame either, even though most of it's life was spent in northern Nevada where salt/sand is used on the highways. I think statikuz can attest to the terrible conditions up that way in the winter, I've even seen it snow in June there. Thorough cleaning of the body & undercarriage weekly made sure it never got a start, although I had my doors freeze shut more than once after visiting the local carwash! P... Helped that the the guy that owned it the first 2 years of it's life was kind of anal (like moi) when it came to cleaning it, too... :aok:

I'll just state the overtly obvious: Crawl over, under, & through a rig you're looking at. Take it to a competent mechanic for a checkup ~ if the owner/dealer balks, walk/run away. Not sure how you do that off of eBay, though... caveat emptor. :contract:

Guest md80man

I paid $ 2,500 for the Finder, it is in very good shape, no rust, original moss green paint (I think it is called that it's greyish green only one year they say)

it is an SE with 4 wheel abs, leather. it has good allseason tires, Although too small 235/75/15 What where they thinking. it has 130,635 miles on it

but it needs a muffler and tailpipe from the cat and back. if you wish use my zipcode for autotrader search 15215 give it 200 miles and that includes

Cleveland and Akron OH, for some reason I found lots of them there very cheap.

Good luck.

Oil spray underneath for the salt???

Reuse old engine oil mixed with kerosene in an old spray gun.

Thats what i do, they don't use salt over here, but the paint on the chassis gets worn off very quicky due to the 4wheeling, then in the salt air, rusts straight away. Oil spray every few months seems to work well.