K & N Filter

Guest shalpin

Guest shalpin

Hi there,

I'm a bit new at this, but am looking to add a few things to my Pathfinder. I was looking Mr. Jim's website and am thinking about doing the cone filter project, but I have a few questions for those who ahve done it.

First, why the cone filter? K & N makes a flat one (33-2031-2). Any reason? Better air flow?

Second, does anyone know if tehre is a Canadian code for the RU-2520? I've had a problem finding a code that I can order from here (Ottawa).

Last, I notcied that the airbox was fixed to the chassis. The new cone filter is not. Does the filter move much or bang around?

Cheers and thanks!

Shawn

The big issue is that they are becoming harder to find for Pathfinders, depending on your year model. You can email K & N Filters Directly about applications.

The cone has much better air flow.

They don't move around. It is more stable than it looks in the photos.

What about water. From the pics I've seen so far the cone filters always seem to be in the open (uncovered) and I know this is probably for better air flow, but wouldn't you be sucking in more humidity because your filter isn't covered. When wheeling that is. <_<

Denis

• 2 weeks later...
The big issue is that they are becoming harder to find for Pathfinders, depending on your year model. You can email K & N Filters Directly about applications.

The cone has much better air flow.

They don't move around. It is more stable than it looks in the photos.

So what's keepng it from moving around that much? I want one but I've been putting it off because I'm worried about vibration damage. I drive a lot of badly washboarded dirt roads that seem to shake off, lossen, and break anything not solidly attached. I don't want my mass air flow sensor and housing getting damanged or the intake hose wearing a hole in it. I'm still on the fence.

"I don't want my mass air flow sensor and housing getting damanged or the intake hose wearing a hole in it."

How the hell would having a cone filter on that damage your MAF? A cone filter weighs at most one pound. It's not going anywhere, man. What other intake hose are you referring to that you're so worried about? Most of the extraneous intake stuff is removed when you put the cone filter on, anyway. Just so you know, I've seen many people use these filters and I've never heard of any problems with any of them. I think you're being overly cautious.

Guest bigcat44

I think what he meant was the filter itself being bad for the MAF. I know with my 2k2 Maxima there was a problem with the oil coated K&Ns on the Injen intakes blowing Mafs easily but I don't forsee that being a problem on older Pathys!!

I think the issue is that with the K&N cone filter like off of Mr.Jim.net is that the filter is free to move around cause it's not fixed to the car like the old airbox was.

Exactly! When you have an air box your metal MAF housing is attached to it. Without the airbox (unless you make a support) your MAF housing isn’t securely mounted and is free to jiggle around (how free it is to move I don’t know because I haven’t done it yet). Seems like the roads I drive tend to make things that can move move. In my mind that can be a bad thing. I think I am going to add a cone filter once I come up with a way to secure it to my liking in order to protect the filter, the MAF and housing, and the intake hose they connect to from constant movement greater than what they would see stock.

Guest streetpathy91

I have an intake much like Jim, and at first it wasn't anchored to anything at all, and it never moved around or caused any damage, the cone filter is long enough(like most) that it sits nicelt in the corner if the inner fender behind the headlight. However for peace of mind you can jsut zip tie the intake tube to the leftover bracket after the airb ox is removed. On another note i've never had any water problems with mine either. :))))

• 2 years later...
Guest 95pathfinderSE

Does anybody have a part #. I am anxious to do this upgrade but want to be sure that I am ordering the correct part.

This is on my brothers QX4, But I installed the same thing. Note the silver support bracket. I had to bend mine a little to use a factory bolt hole.

http://groups.msn.com/nissan4x4/mybothersq...oto&PhotoID=374

Here is for the filter assembly...

http://www.stillen.com/product_detail.aspx?sku=402920

(previous link was incorrect and replaced)

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

Guest 95pathfinderSE

thanks. has anyone tried the RU-2520 yet? i googled it and the k&n website doesnt specify what applications it works for. also..once the airbox is removed is it just the hose clamp that holds in on? seems pretty simple.

Edited by 95pathfinderSE

Ive had my filter on there since i bought my pathy, and i havent had any problems with the maf or with the filter moving around. My uncle was the one to install the filter and i know that he got it from AC (4x4parts.com) and they sent him the one that was the corect filter for it. I drive an R50 so im not sure if AC would have the correct one for you.

Here is a pic of my "creation". I used Spectre Performance parts. As for the filter/MAF just hanging, I took a piece of 3/4" aluminum strap and made a support from one of the stock air box mounts up to one of the bolts on the MAF (blocked by MAF in picture):aok: .

intake1w.jpg

Edited by GrimGreg

Full part list:

SPT81413 Universal MAF adapter (still needed some slight modification)

SPT8718 6" ABS tube (they now offer an aluminum :angry: )

SPT8711 Holesaw & gromet kit (gromets are made to fit the curved tube,

allowed me to plumb the stock vac and breather lines)

SPT8772 Red coupler

SPT8752 Red reducer coupler

Bought it all at Pep Boys. Here is a link to the Spectre site: http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/Spectre.asp