All MileMarker Hub Owners, specifically #435 for 1990-2000

Precise1

I discovered this unfortunate reality when replacing the rotors/pads on our 1999.0 R50. I installed the MileMarker manual locking hubs (PN 435) no more than 5years/30k miles ago for the sole purpose of isolating the CV joints and increasing fuel economy. For this they have done very well, but when I took them apart...

005_zpsbb74tlly.jpg

Most components showed significant rust and/or corrosion. This vehicle has never been off road, ever, and I greased the paper gaskets upon assembly, but nothing else. The only conclusion I can have is that the factory grease (thin, redish stuff on mine) is useless. As you can see, things are well rusted, but for no reason...

So, I recommend that anyone who has these hubs take a look inside to see if they need to be cleaned up/re-greased.

More info: Lifelong California vehicle, so no salt. Switched without issue, but was slightly crunchy. Surprised the hell out of me...

Exploded view for assembly/dis...

001_zpswcqlkssy.jpg

Not difficult, you just need some expanding C clip pliers and a pick with a sharp point

Take a look when you can guys, might save you some unnecessary grief. ;)

B

Edited by Precise1
  • Like 1

IIRC they tell you not to pack them with grease. I imagine a light coating of wheel bearing grease wouldn't hurt anything.

Perhaps the plastic they use is sensitive to petroleum grease? Maybe a silicone brake grease would be better.

Drop the metal parts in evapo rust for a afternoon. Should clean them right up.

IIRC they tell you not to pack them with grease. I imagine a light coating of wheel bearing grease wouldn't hurt anything.

Perhaps the plastic they use is sensitive to petroleum grease? Maybe a silicone brake grease would be better.

Drop the metal parts in evapo rust for a afternoon. Should clean them right up.

Yes, the parts just want a light coating of bearing grease.

Well, none of the parts shown are plastic, just the end caps are IIRC.

Nah, I'll clean them off with steel wool or hit them with the wire wheel on my pedestal grinder. If I get really motivated, I might give them a surface treatment with this stuff before I re-grease and re-assemble.

http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/00265322

Weird, mine looked alright inside when I had them apart last. I did add some grease to them for install but not enough to rust-proof.

The allen screws are rusting like crazy though.

Well, good, don't complain! :tongue:

Even a minuscule layer of quality grease should rust proof them, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Yeah, if they are the black oxide treated ones, that never lasts without some other barrier.

B

Dang B...glad you did not actually ever NEED to use em...and then they fail.

I could so make a "mall crawler" joke but will refrain!

Good catch....gotta go take mine apart now!

Grrr

Finally got Tapatalk to work! Yeaaah!

Any 'mall crawler' joke would be appropriate, this is MallCrawler99's R50 we are talking about! What sort of cretin would put Mile Markers on a WD21? Mine has Warn Premiums... :tongue:

(We have both, remember?)

It's all good; I hope yours don't look like mine...

B

Man you got me...

I have the same hubs on my WD21.

And they don't look that bad, I broke the rules (as usual) and greased all the parts on install, and a few times after when I was servicing them...so they are in good shape...

But yea...I was referring to YOUR WD21 and NOT your spousal units!

Apologies!

LOL