Easiest way to remove motor and trans off donor truck

djratlif

Hey everyone, I have a 1998 Pathfinder with the 3.3L and auto trans for a donor truck to my older wd21. I am planned on pulling the engine and transmission/transfer case, along with some evap stuff that matches my 2000 Frontier. What is the easiest way to go about it? Should I separate the motor/trans and do it piece by piece or leave it together? I am not opposed to cutting anything apart either, as it is going to the scrap heap afterwards anyway. Just seeing if anyone has pointers that has maybe done it before. I was thinking just cutting the radiator support and then the cross members and pulling it out the front as one unit.

SawzAll!!

Yes, if you have a proper lift to handle the weight, I'd do just what you said. You might be able to leave the front cross member, just let the tranny sag and tilt the front of the motor up enough to clear. Guessing though, I have not taken that approach.

Hmm, second thought, the transfer case might give you issues. Maybe divorce that first?

B

I'd think you'd just want to pull the tranny+tcase as one piece, and the engine separately, and leave all the radiator stuff intact. You might be able to pull it as one unit with some cutting, but would you be able to install it as one unit? Probably not; you're going to end up separating something eventually.

The only real difference I can think of is not having to jack the truck up high enough to slide the tranny out, not having to deal with a tranny jack, etc. Probably safer too, and it should be easy to split the two once they are out.

Mileage may vary...

B

True, but I'd think the tail would be too long to tilt down completely (at least with the t-case still on) so he may still need a tranny jack and suitable ground clearance.

Even if cutting the radiator and support beams out, I'd think the t-case would also make the tail to heavy to level it with the picker, which might make it tougher to manuever/tilt/lift.

Still not sure which way to go, I just want to do it and be done. I'll just take a few days off and go after it like a mad man. I need the space for other projects but I can't see ditching the good stuff. Currently eyeballing a 2001 Xterra and a Datsun 240z to add to the collection but the code enforcement guy will notice for sure.... darn Nissan addiction

What exactly is the 'code enforcement guy', and what does he do?

Does he like to drink, or does he have pets, children or a wife? :whistle:

True, but I'd think the tail would be too long to tilt down completely (at least with the t-case still on) so he may still need a tranny jack and suitable ground clearance.

Even if cutting the radiator and support beams out, I'd think the t-case would also make the tail to heavy to level it with the picker, which might make it tougher to manuever/tilt/lift.

Yep, honestly, I don't know exactly how it would work; like I said, I've never done it, but know that people have. That is why I said to consider taking the TC off though...

Not ready to drive to NY to find out. :tongue:

B

My dad and I pulled a Ford 302 + trans a month or so ago without separating the trans courtesy of hacking out the rad support. Worked great even with just a chain hoist and a good push to get the car out from under the motor. The shifter just unbolted on that one, but +1 on the transfer making things interesting.

Worst case, the only thing between that transfer shifter and coming out is floor pan, and you don't need the floor pan, right? Grinder wheels are cheap. :lol:

Haha that is pretty much what I was gonna go with, but no torches so just substitute sawzall/demo saw. And the wrecker would be nice too but alas I have a lowly engine hoist. I'll report back once I get to pulling it.