Please Help!!

ToddtheRobot

My Pathy decided not to start. The battery and alt. are fine. I replaced the plugs and wires about 3 weeks ago, and they are all getting spark. Fuel pump is pumping fine, pump relay is working and I replaced the filter right after it wouldn't start hoping that was it. So it has got to be a problem after the fuel filter. It's acting like it wants to start, just can't for some reason. I'm thinking an injection problem or computer problem. If anyone has ever heard of this or might have some input it would be greatly appreciated.

Will it run if you shoot starting fluid into the intake?

i tried the starting fluid yesterday and had no luck. haven't checked my fuses, but i don't think it's a fuse. does anyone know much about the computers in the pathy's?

Today the fluid worked, but it died after spraying stopped. Know anything about the crank angle sensor? Or any other ideas? It's driving me nuts.

Verify that the fuel pump is actually working. Pull the top hose off the fuel rail and either attach a long hose or use a small catch-can to put the existing hose in. Turn on the key, you should get fuel at a rather fast rate if the pump's working right. Watch out for spray.

Verify that the fuel pump is actually working. Pull the top hose off the fuel rail and either attach a long hose or use a small catch-can to put the existing hose in. Turn on the key, you should get fuel at a rather fast rate if the pump's working right. Watch out for spray.

yeah, I've done that a few times. The pump is working great, I replaced the Fuel filter, plugs are getting spark, starting fluid starts and then dies. I was reading about the crank angle sensor, and it seems like it may be the problem. I know it works with the fuel and ignition system. I don't know if there is anyway to test it once it's been removed.

Well, out in a new distributor, and it still doesn't work. Checked the wiring harness to the ECU and everything looks fine. The fact that the ECU says nothing is wrong kinda makes me wonder if my ECU is actually working correctly. It seems to be going through the modes correctly and shows 55. Does anyone know if an ECU will do that even if it is bad? And does anyone know about how much a salvage yard normally charges for an ECU for a 94 M/T 4x4?

I'm not sure about what happens in a Nissan, but when the timing gears went out on my Olds' 350 it did pretty much what you're describing. Has the timing belt ever been replaced in your Pathy?

Check ebay for the ECU. There's usually a couple for $10 floating around there.

Good luck.

If you remove the distributor, plug it in and spin the base gear(ignition on), you should be able to hear the injectors clicking as it triggers them...

Well, I think I may have found my problem. I looked at the wiring diagrams for awhile last night, and noticed that there is an in line fuse running from the injectors to the battery terminal. Traced the wire and had continuity from the injectors to the inline fuse, but no continuity from the inline fuse to the terminal. Looked a little harder and the connectors were corroded as hell. Got'em soaking in baking soda paste right now. Hopefully that will do her.

YAY!!!!! It was indeed the corroded fusible link P... And to think I only had to pay 250 for towing and a new distributor :angry: But hey, Doris now runs great :D So, for all of you guys who may have this problem sometime, buy the Chiltons manual and trace the wire from the inectors to fusible link back to the battery and check for corrosion.

I am also developing a new theory on Pathfinder mechanics....... I will call it Todd's Razor. It states that if something is wrong it is normally the cheapest and easiest part you can find. :wacko:

....... I will call it Todd's Razor. It states that if something is wrong it is normally the cheapest and easiest part you can find. :wacko:

Old theory, but very true in most cases.

My 88 Pathfinder died while I was going around a corner the other day. Wouldn't restart either, checked my fuses, they were fine, poped the hood and found a wire hanging there unconnected, the coil wire. Pluged it back in and went on my way.