Video: drive shaft knocking?

patqx4

So today I was trying to find an annoying knocking from my front end as I drive over bumpy roads, and when I pull on my drive shafts they seem to move in and out at the hubs, and make a metallic clunk. Is this normal? Im thinking this might be the noise. I'm thinking about removing the drive shafts just to see, but maybe I'm not installing them right and someone knows what's the problem here.

http://vid26.photobucket.com/albums/c135/TwoGunzUp/Mobile%20Uploads/VID_20150705_125353_zps5onleq32.mp4

Edited by patqx4

I can't watch the video right now, but if it's the half shafts your talking about, then yes it's normal to have a little play in and out of the hubs.

What suspension components have you changed so far?

-Kyle

Sorry yeah, the half shafts. So far I've just replaced the sway bar links, but I've got a ton of play in the wheels, with hands at 3&9, and 6&12. So I've ordered new ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, and steering rack bushings. I will update after I install these items.

Hmm, I had the outer bearings out about a year ago when I changed the brake rotors. I repacked them with grease before reinstall. Never touched the inner ones. Would they be loose to be making knocking noises?

Also annoyingly, after 1 week of hubs locked in driving, my new Rockford CV boot tore. I must have installed it wrong I guess, but I can't see how. I thought removing my nx4 spacers would like end this CV boot nightmare!

Yeah, both sides are like that, they're the OEM axles. I've had them both out to change the inner CV boots, pretty certain I replaced all the c clips and everything.

Bearings a blown if you are getting movement at 12 and 6, I had one of mine fail and make a awful sound, like a flat tire almost. Change both and the races, won't have to worry about them for another 150k. My bearings looked fine (even the blown one looked good to eye) but after the installation, it was smooth sailing. Order some new bearings and find somewhere to have new races pressed in. Grease um up, and should be good to go.

Come to think of it I use to have a knock on bumpy roads and I haven't heard it since the bearing swap, all I hear is the tie rods and rear control arms (need to change those now).

Hope that helps. It's an easy installation, just time consuming especially if you don't have a press.

-Kyle

That's more end play than I would expect to see in the axles. Do both sides move that much?

I'm fairly certain that mine barely move.

I have warn hubs and the play is around the same. I think it's a little less with stock hubs. But I believe the play is needed to allow for suspension travel. Don't quote me on that though.

-Kyle

Hmmm, weird. Looks like you're right. Interesting, I wonder mine had the same end play as him.

Pat, was it only in 4wd you got this noise? Now I'm questioning myself. I think the best thing to eliminate if it's the shafts, is pull them out and drive down a bumpy road again.

Still puzzled on that end play thing.

-Kyle

There's definitely worn parts though, I didn't have excessive wheel play before so I can't help thinking the knocking is related. The axles shouldn't affect that

No, the noise is present with hubs locked and unlocked. I'll check the manual for that info when I can

So all the time then. Lol

I would still pull the axles just rule out the axles, before spending anymore money.

-Kyle

So all the time then. Lol

I would still pull the axles just rule out the axles, before spending anymore money.

-Kyle

Heh, yeah.

That will definitely be the next thing I try, especially since checking the bearings will get me halfway there, and I have a CV boot to change.

• 2 months later...

The conclusion to this finally, adjusting the preload on the wheel bearings took care of the 12 and 6 play. Thanks for that suggestion bushnut. The 3 and 9 play was still present, tie rods were shot. I replaced the inner and outer together and now the front end is rock solid :jig:

• Like 2