Former land rover guy converted!

Hey guys, I just bought my first pathfinder 2 months ago, its an 02 LE with 178000 on the clock, have done a few things to her but she's pretty much stock. I got rid of my second overheated and cooked land rover discovery and found the pathy to be a superstar at anything I throw her at! My goal for this truck is to safely reliably take my girlfriend and myself to all 48 states next summer both on and of the tarmac! First thing on the list.. A full engine rebuild, new pistons, valves, pumps gaskets etc!!394d3d1654c78396d7c831d8473c1758.jpg

Hey Bud, congrats on the nice Pathy! They really are sleepers, aren't they?

Gotta ask though, why you got your canoe up side down? If you got things in it, you need to rig that between the rack supports and put the canoe over it, upside down. Better on the hull, ties down more stable, more aerodynamic, won't fill with rain...

Why are you rebuilding the motor at 180k? Maybe it isn't fresh, but it should run past 250k miles without issue. Maybe it needs timing chain tensioner and a tune up?

B

• Like 1

Thanks for the input B, I used to run the canoe the right way up on my Landrover but it tore the roof racks to hell over a summer abd the only after market rack I could find that would fit the big 3 person canoe carrys like this, I think they were designed for kayaks but they work great. Rain has been an issue but I intend to get a good cover for it, I usually only carry 50 pounds or so of gear in it up there, a bundle or 2 of wood or a trolling motor and fishing gear etc. Do you have a better suggestion besides upside down carry and removing all the paint off my racks? Not to mentions the pathy rack is not as wide as my old Landrover one and the canoe keeps slipping down one side or the other, I know this from carrying it without sportracks upside down on my dads 96 pathy :) I guess the reason for the rebuild is that I have access to a buddy for the next month or so who is an ASE mechanic and is willing to do the whole rebuild for $800. Ive had so much trouble with my last few rigs (granted they were Land rovers) that I don't wanna take any chances and figure I should just do the rebuild now before I break down in -40f and 3ft of snow on the way back from a job interview at the sheriff's dept. (Something the landy put me through last winter resulting in a cracked block) any abd all input is eagerly accepted, thanks guys

Josh

Welcome, sounds like you're already familiar with the r50.

Your old disco looks great, I love land rover. Every day I dream of buying a 1995 RRC to build up for an off-road rig. If only I had the money.

Welcome! You've found the right spot!

I wish I could get my bro-in-law to drop his 97 disco. Man that thing is a pile. It wheels well, but breaks all the time. I've rebuilt the top half of the engine, rebuilt the right burfield and now it needs the left. It's never ending. Never mind all the other little stuff that wont stop failing. I'm hoping there is a Xterra in his future as two friends have both bought one recently and they kick

butt off road! It made him pretty jealous.

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

Thanks for the input B, I used to run the canoe the right way up on my Landrover but it tore the roof racks to hell over a summer abd the only after market rack I could find that would fit the big 3 person canoe carrys like this, I think they were designed for kayaks but they work great. Rain has been an issue but I intend to get a good cover for it, I usually only carry 50 pounds or so of gear in it up there, a bundle or 2 of wood or a trolling motor and fishing gear etc. Do you have a better suggestion besides upside down carry and removing all the paint off my racks? Not to mentions the pathy rack is not as wide as my old Landrover one and the canoe keeps slipping down one side or the other, I know this from carrying it without sportracks upside down on my dads 96 pathy :) I guess the reason for the rebuild is that I have access to a buddy for the next month or so who is an ASE mechanic and is willing to do the whole rebuild for $800. Ive had so much trouble with my last few rigs (granted they were Land rovers) that I don't wanna take any chances and figure I should just do the rebuild now before I break down in -40f and 3ft of snow on the way back from a job interview at the sheriff's dept. (Something the landy put me through last winter resulting in a cracked block) any abd all input is eagerly accepted, thanks guys

Josh

I was ribbing you as much as anything else, but I do believe a canoe is more secure up side down and is better for the hull.

I didn't realize that the roof rack is too narrow for the canoe, that is an obvious problem! The only two solutions I can think of is go with aftermarket, or have some pieces made to mount on the stock rack, probably delrin or aluminum, to make it wide enough. Maybe with a small vertical lip as a stop? :shrug:

Buy a thinner canoe? :lol:

I'm pretty sure you have the VQ35 motor in that? Again, they are reliable motors that shouldn't give you any trouble, or at least trouble will be from the coil packs or something, not the block. I'd do a compression check, and if it is all good, drive it! The timing belt/guide may be due but I can't think of much more... Oh, locktite-ing the screws for the swirl valve if it is an automatic. I believe there is a write up in the Garage/How To section or the R50 FAQ section. Not trying to talk you out of it, just trying to save you $ and effort.

Hint: Nissans aren't Land Rovers... ;)

B

• Like 1