R50 Strut mounts marked L and R?

oversteer

First time poster here. I started putting struts (no lift) on my '01 last night. I noticed the strut top bearings are marked L and R. They appear to control camber adjustment. Everything I've read says that front camber cannot be adjusted without aftermarket eccentric bolts. Can anyone confirm that these bearings I'm lookiing at control camber? I'm concerned with getting that back where they started. Is there some method of installing the strut and bearing in the same orientation? The L and R are visible on the tops of the mounts from inside the engine bay. Thanks in advance..

The left and right strut mounts are identical, but they are stamped with "L" and "R" to indicate what side of the car they fit on when the "L" or "R" is in the correct orientation, due to the way that the 3 bolt holes are positioned. There's only one way to fit them on.

To clarify, when the strut mount is attached to the Left side strut, align the "L" on the mount to be inline with the arrow on the upper spring seat and the notch on the back of the strut lower spring pan. When the strut mount is attached to the Right side strut, align the "R" on the mount to be inline with the arrow on the upper spring seat and the notch on the back of the strut lower spring pan.

Following this guideline will allow the bolt-holes to easily line up when you go to install the struts back in the car.

Edited by XPLORx4

Just to confirm, there is no way to do this wrong (assuming the strut tops stay on the original side) and change camber.

Correct. The only part that is left/right specific is the strut itself.

The strut mount isolator (the part you are referring to), if aligned wrong, just won't bolt up right and you will be forced to realign it.

And by "forced to realign it" he means you will just need to manually rotate the isolator (using a box wrench or other tool over one of the studs to give you ample torque) until it lines up better. You don't have to disassemble anything.

Just checking, but did you also line up the upper spring seat? It's got a notch on one side, and a "W" stamped on the other. The W is the wheel side, the notch towards the engine.