H233B side bearing adjustment

hawairish

Rugged Rocks sells a tool for making adjustments to the side bearing adjusters, shown here:

P5090105.JPG

(Borrowed from http://www.parksoffroad.com/miscinstalls/95pathfinderlockright/pathfinderlockright.htm)

The FSM references a similar tool. How necessary is it? Seems that a hammer and punch might be the poor-man's way to make minor adjustments (or a length of 1/4" bar steel to span across teeth and some lever), assuming I can mark it well enough and "set" it back in place.

I assume there's a convenience with the tool, and I'd plan to use it at least once more...but likely never again after that. $46 (after S&H) isn't much...but it is for a limited-use tool. Anybody have any thoughts or experience?

I'll bet an old/cheap 1/2" drive socket with a slot ground through it and a steel bar welded through the slot would do the job.

That said, having the right tool that you wouldn't have to screw around with and risk damaging the adjuster with might be worth the $46.

That said, having the right tool that you wouldn't have to screw around with and risk damaging the adjuster with might be worth the $46.

That's kind of how I'm seeing it, though the ring itself looks to be pretty thick. Guess I'll find out soon enough...picking up some axles today to get the ball rolling on the next projects. Just wanting to see if anyone swears by the tool (or conversely, swears without the tool).

To the point; I like it.

After giving those pics and the FSM another look-over to gauge criticality, I can see where minute adjustments from the tool will be necessary. I was operating under the assumption that if everything is marked properly, it shouldn't take much additional adjustment. Seems I was making an ass out of u and mption.

Plus, if my some chance the 33-spline locker comes alive this year...this tool might see daylight again.