A/t oil temp light test.

I never see my a/t oil temp light come on even tho I feel like my transmission is getting pretty hot, is here anyway I can test this light to see if it works along with the sensor? Does anybody know where the sensor is and how to replace it if it dosent? I'm aware of aftermarket solutions but I would like to stock light to work if the unit gets warm.

The A/T oil temp light should come on with the other dash lights when you turn the key to "run" without starting the engine. The sensor itself looks like it's in the valve body inside the trans, so a bit of an undertaking to get to.

From what I've read, relying on the light to tell if the trans is too hot is kind of like using a smoke detector to tell when dinner's ready.

• Like 1

The A/T oil temp light should come on with the other dash lights when you turn the key to "run" without starting the engine. The sensor itself looks like it's in the valve body inside the trans, so a bit of an undertaking to get to.

From what I've read, relying on the light to tell if the trans is too hot is kind of like using a smoke detector to tell when dinner's ready.

:clap:

Quite accurate as well. You are right, a A/T temp gauge is a good idea regardless of the set up.

B

The only time I've actually seen the A/T light come on wad when I was a passenger in a mate's Terrano on the beach. The sand must have had the auto working hard in 2nd. I have the exact same light in mine and I have the old square dash. The red light goes on when you turn the key then goes off at start up. Keep a check on the dipstick that the fluid is in the cross hatched HOT zone after 20 mins of driving, check with engine running and in P. Fluid should be nice red or pink in color and smell sweet. Feel the fluid too between your fingers. It shouldn't feel gritty or look brown. Those are not good to have or see.