Low fuel warning light issues.

RCWD21

Ok guys this is my first post so please take it easy on me. I've been following along on this forum for about a year now but finally decided to join since I recently got a 1990 pathy. Well a long story short is that after 3 months of owning it this is the 7th or 8th day total that I've driven it. I rebuilt the transmission and did major maintenance to the engine which I'm surprised even ran when I took it out. It came from Panama of all places and I live in North Carolina.but thats another story. Why I'm here is that even though I've cleaned the contacts and replaced the bulb and checked all the wiring and even tried switching sending units I still cannot manage to get the low fuel light to come on. Everything checks out by the book bit it won't work to save its life. I've even ran out of gas but that was when the qauge was reading inaccurately but I fixed that issue already. Any idea as to what else it could be? I've traced every wire from from to back and cleaned all contacts and checked for grounded and shorted wires. I'm at a loss and its really annoying seeing the icon there but knowing the light doesn't want to work when it should. Thanks in advance. Oh and by the way I've searched and searched but its nothing like what I could find on here.

With mine just after it drops under 1/2 a tank the light comes on and it shuts the fuel pump off. I keep it above 1/2 a tank now...I consider that as empty. This is my second Pathfinder and both of them have some pretty funny wiring. My fav. is turing on my lights and the cruise control shuts off?

One thing to consider is the fuel cools and lubes the pump. If you are letting the fuel get that low you run the risk of premature pump failure. I'm not saying it will go out sooner, something to think about. I fill up after I get down to 1/4 tank.

Mine appears to operate like it supposed to according to the FSM? But then I have one window that doesn't operate and the opposite door lock that operates backwards....

Seriously though, I'm not sure what going on with your truck. Did you clean the contacts on the back of the dash? I assume you checked that the grounds back there were tight also, no breaks in the circuit board? I'm throwing stuff out there, other than checking continuity from the end of one wire to its other end I got nothing else.

I'm not sure exactly what sets that light, whether there's a separate switch in the fuel level sender or some circuit that sets the light if the signal drops below a certain point. The FSM might be able to help you there.

I've run mine dry without the light coming on, and when the light has come on, the fuel pump didn't quit. :shrug:

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry about only replying to this now guys. I'm still getting used to this forum setup. I've cleaned the contacts and checked and cleaned all the grounds on this rig. Even installed extra grounds. I haven't run my tank low in a while but I'm thinking of slowly running the tank low by draining it and letting the float drop with the level all the way til the tank is empty to see if the light will come on. The bulb is good and everything has the proper continuity but the damn light just won't come on. I'm going to be switching clusters to one of the ones from a hardbody. I like the layout and coloration better anyways.