Set ignition timing 1997

zendriver

Trying to bring a 97 back to life that it had a frozen distributor pulled.

I I believe I can get it aligned to TDC but I don't know if I need to disconnect the PCM module(or anything else) to to properly time it to 15°.

Any help appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No you don't.

Everything will work if the engine is at TDC on the compression stroke (both valves closed) and the distributor rotor is lined up with the #1 plug wire.

Here's a trick to use to find the initial timing advance. With plug fuel injectors unplugged, crank the engine with a timing light on. You can get the timing in to the ballpark before trying to actually fire it up.

While the injector trick is O.K. I am not sure you can reach all of the injector plugs on an R50 without taking off the upper intake?

However, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. =)

So here is mine, If you want to put the ECU in a constant state so you can adjust your timing before locking down the bolt, Unplug the TPS, Fire the truck up, let it come up to operating temp, where the idle cam has the idle where it should be, then adjust the timing to 15 before TDC, or the fourth mark left to right if you are looking at it from the front top view of the truck. "looking it in the grill from above the fan". the first line being 0 then 5 for each line. using a timing light. then you know you have it dead nuts. Turn the truck off, plug the TPS back in and all done.

But if your old dizzy locked up as stated above if you just want to ballpark it, you should be able to stab it back in at TDC and face the fire toward number 1 and be "good enough"

Pat

Edited by fixinto