How compatible are nissan's

Not a whole lot for the pathfinder. Which is really lame. They aren't really similar to any model, like Frontier to Xterra for example. We had a running list a while ago of cross compatible parts, don't remember what happened to that thread.

But dispite the fact the 300zx and this share the same series of engine, almost nothing is compatible, maybe injectors, but it's a very short list.

-Kyle

Yeah you can really only use parts from other model R50's, but even then, some body lines won't line up between pre-facelift and post.

You can swap in some parts from Terrano's (II?) like headlights and whatnot.

The other problem is that the Pathfinders alternate between framed and unibodied chassis, so even then, you're generally limited to only R50 parts unfortunately, and the 2 sub-generations created a minor rift in part numbers, although the parts are nearly identical.

I've been spending a good amount of time lately trying to cross-reference near-compatible parts. MANY parts are not specifically for R50, but similar parts are within a reasonable tolerance, or otherwise are only different because of simple dimensions (and may be exactly what is needed anyway). Nissan uses metric sizes of course, but what you'll find is that there's usually enough tolerances to fit Imperial sizes nicely (except on bolt/nut threads of course). That helps open up some possibility for other parts. You'd be surprised about what's possible just by using Nissan's online parts database, other online parts dealers, and specs that aftermarket suppliers readily provide.

Case in point: I'll soon be using OEM brake lines from two other Nissans models, shocks for an older Ford F-250, and steering u-joints sized for Toyota and older Datsuns (although not from those vehicles; new parts). I'm also hoping to fit a radiator fan for a VG30/33 on a VQ35 to save up to $70, but no one's been willing to help get me some dimensions there and specs aren't available online. The only part needing any work will be the shocks, and that's just switching around the bushings so I don't have to mount it upside down.

Anyway, bottom line is that you just have to be creative in your search. Forget about anyone saying "this part fits", it won't happen here.

That said, looking for anything in particular?

Forget about anyone saying "this part fits", it won't happen here.

By the way, I meant "anyone" in the OEM/aftermarket world, not us good folks here on the forum. I think we're all excited when we find out something actually does fit our trucks, even if it's not supposed to.

To touch on your other questions: no, a Frontier/Navara bar won't work as-is (framed chassis vs. unibody). You'd likely need to cut the mounts and weld new ones, or fab up some brackets.

If you can find an LSD from one, an Xterra, or Pathfinder (in your case, possibly even a Patrol if they exist), you might be in luck. Despite different rear suspensions, the 3rd members on the axles (assuming they're H233B axles) may be interchangeable depending on the splined axle shaft sizes. F/N/X/P's share the same front axle family name (R200A) but they're different in mounting styles and low vs high pinion. There's a front Lokka available for it though, and on the cheap right in your backyard, and a good write-up on how to install it on a couple forums.

Nope Terrano 2 is a completely different car.

[snip]

maybe things like the interior switches would work. But It's just Terrano for the foreign equivalent of an R50.

My bad, checked and it's the regular Terrano. A few guys have the Terrano projector headlights on their R50's.

The other problem is that the Pathfinders alternate between framed and unibodied chassis, so even then, you're generally limited to only R50 parts unfortunately, and the 2 sub-generations created a minor rift in part numbers, although the parts are nearly identical.

I've been spending a good amount of time lately trying to cross-reference near-compatible parts. MANY parts are not specifically for R50, but similar parts are within a reasonable tolerance, or otherwise are only different because of simple dimensions (and may be exactly what is needed anyway). Nissan uses metric sizes of course, but what you'll find is that there's usually enough tolerances to fit Imperial sizes nicely (except on bolt/nut threads of course). That helps open up some possibility for other parts. You'd be surprised about what's possible just by using Nissan's online parts database, other online parts dealers, and specs that aftermarket suppliers readily provide.

Case in point: I'll soon be using OEM brake lines from two other Nissans models, shocks for an older Ford F-250, and steering u-joints sized for Toyota and older Datsuns (although not from those vehicles; new parts). I'm also hoping to fit a radiator fan for a VG30/33 on a VQ35 to save up to $70, but no one's been willing to help get me some dimensions there and specs aren't available online. The only part needing any work will be the shocks, and that's just switching around the bushings so I don't have to mount it upside down.

Anyway, bottom line is that you just have to be creative in your search. Forget about anyone saying "this part fits", it won't happen here.

That said, looking for anything in particular?

Perhaps not that much for the R50 since it is fairly stand alone, but there have been things like bumpers, lights, etc.

There are plenty of things that can be swapped out with the WD21s, so I don't really agree with your statement.

B

Thanks guys, just wanting to be different, since I bought the pathy they seem to be everywhere, and they all look the same, I want to make a head turner. I'm going to do my own bar work early next year I think if I can make sure it won't effect the air bag system. Gotta find those unique mods, but I want it to be safe and usable firstly

Sorry, Precise1, I was speaking in general about aftermarket parts compatibility across different makes. I know Paul was asking more for cross-Nissan, though.

To your point, I'm certain there are plenty of things from a WD21 that carry over, especially in regards to the engine and drivetrain. I even know firsthand that WD21 UCAs fit a 1998 Frontier 2WD, but are too long...with an elongated LCA, though, it'd have given for more lift (and travel) than my Fabtech lift ever did. I've also done a few conversions (AT to MT, 4-lug to 5-lug, KA24DE to SR20DET) on 240SXs (S13 and S14) to know about Nissan's craftiness. Even recently, I've been looking to seeing if an Altima or Maxima steering link would be a cheaper replacement over a new steering link for the SFD.

And as mentioned, I'm in a similar struggle to find a different radiator fan option. If your sig truck still looks like that today, I'd let you prove your point by measuring the fan blade diameter and mounting pattern for me (please?). :D

Oh yeah, and Paul, I hear you about wanting that unique look. I remember seeing a thread around here with pics from a Middle Eastern group that got together at the dunes one day. Some of the pics looked like a line-up at the dealership.

What sorts of mods are you looking for anyway? Aesthetic, performance, utility, other?

Sorry, Precise1, I was speaking in general about aftermarket parts compatibility across different makes. I know Paul was asking more for cross-Nissan, though.

To your point, I'm certain there are plenty of things from a WD21 that carry over, especially in regards to the engine and drivetrain. I even know firsthand that WD21 UCAs fit a 1998 Frontier 2WD, but are too long...with an elongated LCA, though, it'd have given for more lift (and travel) than my Fabtech lift ever did. I've also done a few conversions (AT to MT, 4-lug to 5-lug, KA24DE to SR20DET) on 240SXs (S13 and S14) to know about Nissan's craftiness. Even recently, I've been looking to seeing if an Altima or Maxima steering link would be a cheaper replacement over a new steering link for the SFD.

And as mentioned, I'm in a similar struggle to find a different radiator fan option. If your sig truck still looks like that today, I'd let you prove your point by measuring the fan blade diameter and mounting pattern for me (please?). :D

No problem, I wasn't mad or anything, just stating my experience. I see you clarified your statement in your next post; I missed it somehow, so my bad.

By the way, I meant "anyone" in the OEM/aftermarket world, not us good folks here on the forum. I think we're all excited when we find out something actually does fit our trucks, even if it's not supposed to.

WD21 UCAs are the same as Hardbody UCAs...

Gee, thanks for the opportunity! :tongue:

That is my first Pathy when I was stripping it, this is the current one...

016.jpg

The fan is sitting in the garage, I'll get you those dimensions as soon as the cat lets me get up...

B

That's a great looking truck! You'd be my hero if you got those fan numbers for me. My dad says the bolt pattern on the Frontier appears to be the same, but I think the fan diameter is less (4-cyl). I'm probably making a fuss over a fan with several more years on it, but the last time something self-destructed under my hood (power steering idler pulley bearing), it wasn't a fun experience (whatwasthatnoise+oh$4itwheresmysteering?!). Ha, and I used a bearing from a 240SX because they didn't sell one separately for a Frontier yet and the price on a new pulley assembly was outrageous.

Oh, Nissan.

Thanks, working on it...

The fan blade unit for a 1995 WD21 is just under 17" across the flats, 8 bladed clockwise, 1.75" thick, with a 6.25x.75" deep mounting well for the fan clutch, with what looks like a 144-145mm X 4 bolt circle. Standard 10mm heads, so I'm guessing M6x1.0 threads/clearance? Do you need that checked as well?

PM me if so...

:jacked:

B

Solid info, much appreciated! I think it's close enough to work.

Still curious to hear what else Paul's looking for. Saw his post in the Random R50 pics thread with an idea to black out the rails and such. Maybe a more striking tone or body colored? What about billet grilles/inserts?

According to this guy, a Hardbody bed fits a Pathfinder no problem.

2010-02-18-nissan-freakshow-572-334.jpg

Those body lines are seamless, but his departure angle took a small dive. At least he can still tow a boat.

• Like 2

Hawairish, that pic is hilarious, I haven't really got any set plans as such, I want to beef it up a bit, some neg offset rims with 31" Muds or even 33's if they fit and I'll probably fab up front and rear bars, if I had a spare 10k lying around it'd make things much easier lol not sure on a snorkel yet as I like the clean lines up top

Cool. Well, keep an eye out for my notes on an SFD, or look into KRFab's 4" kit to clear 33s. You could also ditch the side steps and fab up some sliders. ARB bumpers are a pretty penny here, but are they any cheaper around there?

I think with a higher front bar and possibly change to rubber mount flares, 33's would fit but it's only a thought atm with wider 31's on some neg offset rims will give me the look without issues. I'd like to ditch the side steps but they are handy for my kids getting in and out so sliders might work well. I haven't priced bars here cause I want to have a go myself, but when I put a TJM bar on my patrol it was $1700

• 2 months later...

Hi guys. I'm new around here but saw this thread and thought it an ideal opportunity to ask a question that'll help save me some coin. Do any of you know if the AT gearbox in the pathfinder is interchangeable with other Nissans? I believe the model code is shared with late model skylines and Sylvia's and I'm interested if fitting one would be as simple as swapping extension housing and bell housing. Can anyone speak from experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like to bump this up with recent rediscovery. I had forgotten about the ELGRAND!

I was talking with karmann a few weeks ago about something random, and the subject of different suspension came up. For whatever reason I had remembered seeing a post on nico that showed how a Japanese gentlemen successfully installed a set of bilsteins from an E50 Gen ELGRAND. So I started looking into it more throughly and I found airbag options, NISMO options, and some possible thicker sway bar options! (still checking on that).

But long story short the E50 Gen ELGRAND with the VG33 engine uses pretty much the identical front suspension and subframe as the R50's. Rear axle I believe is the same, as are the rear sway bars (just turned upside down for body clearance, just a hunch on that though) but the springs are probably different as they perch on the LCA'S rather than the axle, again, most likely for lower clearance.

But since those vans are loved in Japan, there are quite a few options for the ELGRAND that I'm fairly confident will work. I believe too that the E51 Gen has the same front struts as all of these rigs!

I'll post up some diagrams and see what everyone's opinion on the ELGRAND compatibility. If anyone is actually interested.

-Kyle

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...