Outlets Out?

Karmann

I'm having an issue where all of my power outlets/cigarette lighters aren't providing any power to charge my phone, cameras etc. I've checked the associated fuses and all are in perfect condition.

Any help?

Have you tried the sockets themselves with a meter? Power to the center contact and ground to outer housing. With the key on or acc.

Have you tried the sockets themselves with a meter? Power to the center contact and ground to outer housing. With the key on or acc.

Not yet, I'll try that out tomorrow, just seems like there's zero power to any of them. :shrug:

Am I the only one that saw you checked fuses? Mine has power but the clips for power acc. (like my GPS) don't always connect for some reason. I'd check for power at the socket first. If you have 12 v there then it's just you acc. connection.. Oh and there is no power when the key is OFF so it will only charge when you are driving or the key is on ACC. or ON.

Kev

Edited by kdj

Check fuse? It was that simple for why mine didn't work.

-Kyle

Check the fuses and relays under the hood as well as the ones behind the coin tray.

Am I the only one that saw you checked fuses? Mine has power but the clips for power acc. (like my GPS) don't always connect for some reason. I'd check for power at the socket first. If you have 12 v there then it's just you acc. connection.. Oh and there is no power when the key is OFF so it will only charge when you are driving or the key is on ACC. or ON.

Kev

Yes you are the only one lol. :laugh: I know it only operates in the ACC or ON position, I'll try to measure with a meter tomorrow... I'm genuinely perplexed.

I saw in your post that you said you had checked fuses, but I figured that you may not have checked ALL of them, and only checked the fuse behind the coin tray.

And you may have not checked the condition or terminals on the POWER SOCKET relays under the hood. Is that what you have already done? How did you confirm the fuses and relays were in perfect condition? Did you use a continuity tester? Sometimes fuses may LOOK ok, but may have an undetectable break in them that causes them to perform intermittently when a current passes through them. If you have operated any devices plugged into those sockets at very close to their rated current, the fuse may not blow, the fuse metal could melt/deform and become unreliable.

Check for power using a multimeter or a continuity tester at the fuse terminals and at the relays when key is in ACC or ON.

I saw in your post that you said you had checked fuses, but I figured that you may not have checked ALL of them, and only checked the fuse behind the coin tray.

And you may have not checked the condition or terminals on the POWER SOCKET relays under the hood. Is that what you have already done? How did you confirm the fuses and relays were in perfect condition? Did you use a continuity tester? Sometimes fuses may LOOK ok, but may have an undetectable break in them that causes them to perform intermittently when a current passes through them. If you have operated any devices plugged into those sockets at very close to their rated current, the fuse may not blow, the fuse metal could melt/deform and become unreliable.

Check for power using a multimeter or a continuity tester at the fuse terminals and at the relays when key is in ACC or ON.

I replaced the fuses in question (power socket, rear window, and lighter) both in the engine bay and the sin drawer, with no results. :/

Just did the continuity test, and nothing registered. Any other ideas? I'm pretty dang confused.

Edited by Karmann

With a volt meter you have no power testing the actual sockets? Time to test the wires to the socket, if those have power then the socket is bad. If no power is to the wires, then trace those back and check for power.

Now starts the fun of chasing wires.

• Like 2

With a volt meter you have no power testing the actual sockets? Time to test the wires to the socket, if those have power then the socket is bad. If no power is to the wires, then trace those back and check for power.

Now starts the fun of chasing wires.

Correct, that was what I was afraid of...

I would start with checking for power at the fuse block near the battery, then moving to the power socket relays near the air filter, then finally at the fuse panel behind the coin tray. Because BOTH outlets are out, it's more likely that you have a broken connection somewhere very far upstream than something bad at the socket itself.

If it turns out that you can't figure out the problem, then you CAN hardwire the sockets to have constant-ON power by running a fused 10-gauge wire from the battery to the cabin and connect it to the power sockets. It's a bit of work though, requiring disassembling some of the lower dash, removing the driver's seat and the center console.