Header Qs

ebayfish

I've got a leaky y pipe, so I think I'm just going to get headers. I am thinking about getting the Pacesetter 70-1198, the full length headers. I know 2wd hard bodies have issues with the torsion bars hitting, any issues with a 4wd pathy? Should I just use new manifold gaskets or do they make higher heat header gaskets?

I would guess that the 70-1198 is the 49 state kit? I believe mine reads 70-1197 on my 4x4 Auto ( though it is CARB / Canada emissions compliant), other than the annoying triangular motor hitch point on the back of the head of the drivers' side that needs to be removed, (AND dealing with broken studs) the kit went in relatively easy. Oil changes are a bit more challenging since there is very little room left to extract the filter. I just did mine and found that if you can hold the filter in the middle and use one or two fingers to spin the filter once you get it past the inner fender well / header tubes you can thread it on.... but you have to have smaller hands.

Those who have installed the Pace Setters have had everything from smooth to PITA experiences, I'm not sure why that is. I do not know the part number used though.

This is the perfect time to install an oil filter relocation kit to avoid what Mr Special is talking about. :D

B

I have pacesetters... I think they were the 1197's. I have a 95 SE auto. Not too difficult to install, just had to leave everything loose until it was all in place then tightened the pipe connections last. used a relo kit for the oil filter and built some sheet aluminum heat shields to protect the relo lines and other things that I didn't think should get real hot. Only had to do a minor bend in my EGR tube for alignment and, when attaching the crossover to the passenger side, had to drill a small hole and insert a screw under the exhaust clamp because it worked itself loose at one point. Now it's permanent, MIG permanent!

the 1198's are for a manual tranny

Edited by k9sar

The manual cross over pipe runs closer to the tranny, so with an auto it may not clear the pan?

Those who have installed the Pace Setters have had everything from smooth to PITA experiences, I'm not sure why that is. I do not know the part number used though.

This is the perfect time to install an oil filter relocation kit to avoid what Mr Special is talking about. :D

B

Mine went in relatively smooth....I paid someone to do it lol. But I was almost on deaths door at the time. They didn't have that hard of a time. Mine were a used set from a member here.

Is the cross pipe all that's different? If the headers them self are the same, I've got a hydraulic bender & flarer that I could use to alter of remake that crosspipe.

Is the cross pipe all that's different? If the headers them self are the same, I've got a hydraulic bender & flarer that I could use to alter of remake that crosspipe.

Oh and don't forget to mill, grind, hack or chop off the front of the cat as there is a .250" inner tube part that sticks out and prevents the tubes from sealing.... at all. AND it's thick enough to need some serious elbow grease!