Bad Injector?

ryanc

Hey guys, Im new to the forum and been browsing it the past week or so. I have a 91 Pathfinder XE 4x4 with 192k. I got the truck about 6 months ago, doing some work on it and driving it. I just finished the timing belt/tensioner/water pump and radiator. Since I got the truck, it has sounded like its down a cylinder. It still drove pretty good so I hadnt messed with it.

I ran a compression check today and all of the cylinders were 160-190. I went through and pulled one plug wire at a time and when I pulled the wire on the front cylinder on the drivers side, the idle didnt change. I checked and I have spark to that plug. So that leaves just the injector wither not firing or being plugged up, right?

Where do I go from here? Am I able to pull that injector without pulling the upper intake? It seems I can at least see it through the runner.

Thanks in advance!

I found that mine was quite stuck when I replaced it this summer, but I don't think it's possible to get the injector out without removing the upper intake. The injector itself is held in with a steel cap, two #2 Phillips screws and sticky Viton o-rings plus dirt. I thought about not removing the intake but I needed a bit of space to be able to get to the injector cap screws. Don't forget to change the pad on the base of the old injector to the new one. I forgot to do that.

But the correct procedure is in the download-able FSM!

Sucks that it is on the drivers side, I'm sure you have to pull the plenum to get to it, but if you can remove the retaining clip and get the wire connector off, it would be worth testing the injector with an ohm meter first. I'm pretty sure the resistance is supposed to be 10-14 ohms cold, but yes, download the FSM from the pinned thread in the Garage section. 1994 is the first year, but it still applies to 90+% of your vehicle.

Might be worth checking the harness as well, but odds are that if there is an issue, it would be the injector.

I had one on a 1999.0 that failed only when it was run until hot, then shut off and restarted. Quite the PITA to troubleshoot...

B

Thanks for the info guys. I checked for the FSM link and it doesnt seem to work... it got this when I clicked it...anyone have a good link?

Error 404 - Not Found

Sorry. The page you were looking for is not here.

A really nice trick for testing injectors on a pathfinder is to use the injector harness plug. The fsm states which pins relate to which injectors and from there you can ohm out all your injectors in a matter of a few minutes while only having to unplug one connector at the front of the truck. Can't remember off the top of my head which one it is, but if memory serves it is the connector with the many small pins (I believe the largest one in the cluster of 3 plugs at the front of the passenger valve cover, where the injector harness meets the main engine harness).

Edited by Nefarious

UPDATE

I pulled the upper intake, pulled that injector and replaced it. Shes firing on all cylinders now! The truck drives and sounds sooo much better! Thanks for help guys!

• Like 1