New Guy In Dallas, TX That Needs All The Help He Can Get

AirChime

The 2004? The red one? If you can call Alkorahil first with the vin to see if its caught up on any recalls. And again check the strut towers for rust. Basically look behind the front springs, all in the wheel well for major rust. Other than that do the usual used car inspection. Check fluids, drive it etc check fluids after drive also.

Sent from my Moto X

Yes, the red one.

I started it while the engine was cold, and it made no unwanted noises. I drove it around the block in Ft Worth, and it was fine, I could detect no unwanted noises or movements.

As for calling Alkorahil, I know where he works, but I have no idea what his name is!

I ran the VIN through NICB and it has no thefts or totals.

Well, I'm kinda bummed. I bought it. It runs nice, rides pretty good (not great), and all that. However two things clunked out; the A/C doesnt blow cold air, but it does blow hard, and the rear wiper doesnt work. I tested the A/C on Saturday and it was fine. I never tested the rear wiper. I can hear the the rear wiper trying to work, but that it.

I will get it into the dealership to have the factory recall performed. I might ask to see whats up with the A/C. The previous owner will hear from me tonight (I promise to be polite.... at first).

I think I will perform a tune up; plugs, boots (or wires), oil change, tranny flush, maybe a coolant flush, maybe a fuel filter change, air filter, etc, belts, timing chain. If anyone in the Dallas area wants to come over and show me the ins and outs, be my guide, my Sherpa up the mountain of Pathfinderness please let me know. I will provide alcohol, food, ammunition, or a bit of cash for your time and wisdom imparted.

Congratulations on picking up a Pathfinder. Bummer about the A/C. That definitely is something to bring up to the guy you just bought it from.

Here is the link to the Factory Service Manuals for Pathfinders. Download the one for 2004, your model year. Keep it safe, print it, etc. It will become your bible from now on any any work. Its just that awesome to be able to have it.

Link: http://diyservicemanuals.com/nissan-pathfinder-service-repair-manuals/

Also, no need to replace your timing chain. If it decides to become slappy, then may just need to replace the tensioner, but even then. I have hardly heard of issues with that on the 3.5L engines.

You dont have spark plug wires. You have individual coil packs. Just replace the plugs, NGK brand only. OE replacement platinum tipped ones. Still cheap ~4-6 each. Last 100k. NGK only because, well Nissan. Thats why. Others dont play well.

As for the other usual maintenance, go for it. For the transmission, just make sure to use the correct fluid. Either buy the Nissan fluid from the dealer $$$$ or the aftermarket that most of use is the Castrol Import for Nissan transmission fluid. You dont really need to do a flush, just a drain and fill. Pull the plug, let it drain for a bit. Should drop out about 4 quarts and replace. No need to drop the pan for the filter as its basically just a rock catcher. Its not a very fine filter. I would recommend to also install a auxiliary transmission cooler. Unless, yours by chance has a factory one, some did. Still could add one in the loop, cooler the transmission is the happier it is! You guys get heat in Texas. Cant, be too cool! B)

Fluids can be had at local parts stores. Just make sure they meet the requirements as stated by FSM for certs.

You said its not riding to nice? Should be pretty smooth. Unless it has original struts n shocks. Then yea, not so good. Start reading threads all around this forum. From the Garage section, to the R50 96-04 section. Even check out the Members Ride section. Lots of us had documented tons of things there. This is the link to mine. You can see the transformation of mine, but there are many more that are awesome.

Link: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/35248-rebelords-19990-r50/

Oh and :thisthreadisworthless:

I dont mean to say its running rough, not at all. I just noticed that from 60-70MPH I noticed the wheel jiggled a bit, but as I accelerated through 70 or decelerated from about 60MPH, the vehicle ran smoother. That said, it could be nothing more than I just happened to be on crappy pavement (something DFW is plagued with) at the time.

I dont expect the previous owner to do anything about the AC. Well maybe a FOAD, or "Hey, my buddy, the mechanic, will fix it for you, and cut you a deal."

I just spoke with the owner, and he sounded shocked. Shocked I tell ya!

He said you are supposed to push in the two Max A/C buttons that are below the A/C knobs. I come from Fords, and Max A/C on Fords does not activate the A/C, it merely gives you about 10% more airflow. I dunno, maybe Nissans work this way. Then again, maybe he is FoS.

Wheel jiggled? Or like the rear kinda swayed about?

Wheel jiggle. I didnt feel like the rear end was swaying. That said, I am fully anticipating having to replace the rear lateral links like on the other.

Wheel jiggle, like its coming from the front, and only at that speed? That's just tire balance, mine do that. However, mine are just spun balanced with standard weights. If you can get them roadforced balance, that can eliminate that issue as it tells the tech to rotate the tire to achieve optimum balance.

Which type of AC controls do you have? Ones with manual dials or have a LCD screen? Im looking at the owners manual and there are actually 3 types for your truck.

Two knobs (L to R): Blower Speed, Temperature.

Below that are two little buttons.

3 dials, Fan speed, Temp, Vent selection.

Then below is two buttons, a sideways U and then a blue one? The one on the right should be labeled AC. Make sure thats on. The sideways U is the re circulation button. Otherwise known as "MAX" on Fords.

I'll take a look and get back to you.

Right now my Anatolian Shepherd has been begging me for a ride since I wrecked his truck. Plus I'm hungry and dont feel like cooking, and there isnt a faithful women at this residence to make me a sammich.

OK, I must have a slight bit of an anomaly as both buttons are green.

I say the re-circ icons above the buttons, but they are so far up I thought they were for the knobs! To add to my confusion, it says "MAX A/C" between the buttons, thus I assumed the left button was Max A/C for the drivers side, and the right was Max A/C for the pax side.

I will also attribute this conclusion to a lack of sleep!

SO after a week or so of owning this thing, I like it, but I dont love it. Not because its bad or anything. Its not you, Pathfinder, its me.

I have a problem with the fuel gauge. It may be a quarter of a tank on the gauge, but the tank is actually almost empty. I read of this problem, and an associated recall, but the recall stops at 2003 PFs, and mine is a 2004. Hopefully if I tell Nissan about it, they will cover me. I am also debating as to whether or not I should take it in for the current factory recall regarding the tower struts.

Also, after a while of driving this one, it gets downright uncomfortable. Its the seat. And its me. I am fat, and have long legs. I have the seat all the way back, but an extra inch or two backwards would be awesome.

The steering wheel wobble that I mentioned occurring between 60 and 70MPH has been narrowed down to about 65MPH. I believe it is pavement related, because on smoother stretches of highway it is greatly minimized.

Things I need now are the keyless remote fobs x2, and another key or two.

Looks like the "max AC" thing just means to put on the AC and recirc to get it as cold as possible inside. Recirc shouldn't be necessary to kick the A/C on. I don't think I've seen a post-facelift R50 with knob controls.

I remember reading a while back how a guy took his rear wiper motor apart, broke the corrosion loose (what seized it up), then greased it and got it working again.

Does sound like the front tire balance might be a bit off.